My First Post. Plannng Basement - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

My first post. Plannng basement

Help all, just joined but have been reading for a while. Love the forum.
I'm planning to finish my basement and wanted to run it by the knowledgeable members here.
I want to put 2" XPS on the concrete walls then lay dri-core to within a 1/4" of it. Then build my walls on top of the dri-core using 2x4s and 2x6. I want to also put in good bat insulation between the studs on the perimeter walls (no vapor barrier ) for extra R.
For the joist spaces I plan to spray foam and use safe&sound in between the ceiling joists for sound.

Does this sound ok? Any gotchas?

TIA

Andrew

Advertisement

Swrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome Andrew, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

In reading your post it certainly sounds like you have done your homework when it comes to finishing your basement. Post some pics along the way.

Mark

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,032

Another "Welcome to the forum!".

I would install the frame wall on sill sealer for a capillary/thermal break, not on top the d.c. (as in fig.#1)
Under the dri-core, the air is wet but stays under it if you seal the perimeter. If it runs under the wall, the foam is exposed to any air/moisture from the slab, without blockage. (Fig.#3) http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1
Wouldn't hurt the rigid but would wet the glass insulation batts.... Then the air could feed moisture to the convective loops from using a low density f.g batt, from the slab source to the end destination, the floor joists above (or decking); http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-b...ulation-90438/

Air seal the p.t. plate and the drywall; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Remember to fire-stop the frame wall every 10' horizontally and between the the wood top plates or at the drop ceiling line in the wall. Tape the rigid foam seams and to the floor = no air to concrete at all.....

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-03-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Link....
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome, and thank you for the very educational information Gary. The links provided some very interesting info that I was not aware of at all.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

You're welcome, and let's see some progress pictures, later! Also try the "Search" box above for more threads on basements and insulating them.....

Gary
Old 02-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #6

I'll definitly post pics as I go. I'm still in the planning stage with a construction start date of March 1st. Next week I'm going to the city to find out about the permit requirements.

I have a couple of questions though,
I have 2 windows in the basement that are blocked from the outside by a deck. What should I do from the inside to close them off? I was planning to just spray foam them, but that may not be right...
The second question is regarding the hydro panel (electrical panel.) it's currently nailed into 2 2X4s on their flat side. How do I insulate behind it to pass inspection?

TIA,

Andrew

P.S. the windows are in the rec room. There are still 3 other windows that are big and will be available in each bedroom and the bathroom

Last edited by Swrocket; 02-05-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

Be sure to leave egress for the basement and any ones in each bedroom. I would pull the window and re-side there, insulate as the rest of the upper wall. If you leave it in, eventually it will leak moisture from outside and turn to mold. I'd call your Inspector on the panel question; first do exactly as he wants, second- show him you are working with him....

Gary

Advertisement