Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
MyDIYTry

Share |

My DIY TRY

After watching one to many DIY Network and Flip This House episodes, my fiance and I decided to buy a house and fix it up ourselves. Well, let’s just say they make it look so much easier on TV!! We’ve decided create a website www.MyDIYTry.com to share with you our attempts at fixing up our house, including the many, many unwanted “surprises” we’ve had along the way. Already we’ve learned so much, mostly what not to do, what order you should do things in and have become all too knowledgeable of the wonderful process of pulling and waiting. . . . . and waiting. . . . . for permits.

Along the way we’ve had to hire contractors to do some of the work. I could start a complete other site just on our experiences with searching for, finding, meeting, interviewing, hiring and working with contractors. We’ve had had some very bad experiences, as well as some really great ones. We are also going to include pictures of our house during this process.

I would love if you would check out our site and all the projects we have tackled. Being first-time home-buyers, all renovations and projects have been a learning experience. I would love to hear your comments and suggestions, so feel free to post and subscribe (it's free).

www.MyDIYTry.Com

MyDIYTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #2

My DIY TRY

How much money do you think that you will need to put into this?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #3

My DIY TRY

Wow. That looks like a lot of work! What area are you in? Is the RE market still moving? (around here stuff is on the market so long, that you'd never make a buck on this sort of project anymore).

Is the pool going to be salvagable? Or will it need to be dug out and filled?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
MyDIYTry

My DIY TRY

It is a lot of work. The market isn't moving here either, so I think that we are going to be living here for quite a bit.

As for the pool, we've begun filling it in. We are doing so much in the house, so I haven't started that post just yet. Wait until you see the pictures. It's a sight to be seen!!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
MyDIYTry

My DIY TRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
How much money do you think that you will need to put into this?
Too much money!! We've already spent more than we thought we would and we still have a pool to fill in, landscaping to be done, a kitchen and bath to renovate and flooring to put in. This wasn't a flip, but we thought we could make money on this house in the long run. Now we think that we will maybe break even or make a little bit (depending on the market at the time we sell). I'll try tallying what we've spent to give you an idea, but we've had so many more projects completed than the ones I've already posted. I'm trying to catch up to the present day renovations on my site, but we have 8 months of stuff to post.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #6

My DIY TRY

When did you buy?

Are there things you'd do differently if doing it again?

Has it been hard to live in a house you're substantially renovating for 8 months?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
MyDIYTry

My DIY TRY

We bought in February.

There are a lot of things I would do differently if I could. We did a lot of things in the wrong order and had to back track a lot. Pulling permits has been a pain in the neck. Because we completely gutted our 2nd floor, it's now considered "new construction" and we now have to bring everything up to code.

The number one thing I would change is dealing with contractors. We had to hire someone for some work we couldn't do, and we had a terrible experience w/ one contractor who ended up taking more than 1/2 of our deposit and didn't do any work. I'm writing a post about the experience. We learned that everything needs to be in writing, spelled out.
Here's a link to the post about the beginning of our contractor nightmare:
http://www.mydiytry.com/?p=18
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Deck Staining Pro

My DIY TRY

A good roof cleaner will get that roof completely clean. Dont try and just pressure wash it, look for someone with no pressure roof cleaning equipment. Save you from having to replace a roof

"Bringing New life to Old Wood"
bigchaz is offline   Reply With Quote