My bedroom sucks... help?
Okay, so here's the story:
After moving houses recently, my bedroom is one of four parts in the basement of the new house (the other three parts are a bathroom, another bedroom where my aunt is living, and a tackle room, where our fireplace is). As far as space and privacy go, it's great. However, it's still a basement, and an old one at that. It has cement floors and old fake wood paneling on 3 walls. The third wall is just white, but it's not smooth. It has a rickety ceiling fan that could fall at any moment, and, as any basement should, there are a LOT of spiders. Also, being a basement, it constantly has that "damp"ness to it, making my bedding and clothes the same way, and I can't go out of my house without friends telling me I smell like basement.
Being a poor college student and with parents unwilling to help, do I even have options to improve my living space for the next 3 to 4 years on such a small budget?
Issues I'd like to see dealt with in my room:
1. The cement floor, I would like carpet, but my parents say it's not allowed because it will be easier for fleas to live there when the season is right. If I had all the time and money in the world, I would love hardwood flooring, but when I can hardly afford textbooks, this obviously isn't in my near future haha.
2. The ceiling fan from hell... I believe I can receive a free ceiling light fixture from my girlfriend's parents to replace this with, so I think I have this covered, as long as I can install it.
3. The "dampness," and in extension, the resulting smell. Would a dehumidifier rectify this?
4. The spiders? Is there any possible way to thwart off these little guys?
5. The windows. There are 3 windows in here (the small rectangular ones, because most of the room is underground.) I think I'll buy some nicer curtains or maybe even just some blinds/shades for them, the current ones are a nasty green/brown color and are triangular, so they don't even keep all the light out.
6. Just the overall... "basement feel," it doesn't feel like I'm "home" when I'm in this room, it feels like a basement, not my bedroom.
It's embarassing to have my girlfriend over and make her hang out in a dirty setting like this. It's sad to have to live in a place where I don't feel like I'm at home because no matter what I try, it's still a basement. Wiping the dust from my furniture and periodically cleaning the spiderwebs from every corner just doesn't seem to do the trick.
If anyone could offer any tips or advice that would be great. If needed, I can certainly post pictures.