Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

My Basement Project - Framing

Hello diyers,
So I've been planning on starting on my basement project for a while now finally started framing last week. I've never done any framing myself but I've done my research and feel comfortable starting the basic walls. As for soffits and tricky corners, I may have to ask the experts here or call a professional.
I'll post periodic updates and pictures here hoping experts to tell me what I'm doing right or wrong.

I've had a discussion with a Home Depot manager who is a building contractor himself. he mentioned I don't require any insulation, just put plastic moisture/vapor barrier for my location. I'm in Kansas City btw. my basement does not feel damp and haven't had any water/dampness issues yet. The house was built towards the end of 2008. I've attached photos of my first 16' wall that I just raised.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
My Basement Project - Framing-20120911_213459.jpg   My Basement Project - Framing-20120911_213524.jpg  

kimbhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

ARe the crown of the studs all the same way...crown facing toward the inactive side of the wall which would be the outside wall?

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
ARe the crown of the studs all the same way...crown facing toward the inactive side of the wall which would be the outside wall?
The lumber I used for this wall are very straight and yes I tried to put the bow/crown in the same direction.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

My first roadblock

Turns out that the framing wasn't aligned properly as I was trying to put the second frame. my frame wasn't right up against the right wall and I didn't use a plumb bob to check if it was straight (my first framing ).

Long story short, I need to move the top an inch to the right or the bottom an inch to the left. I'm thinking the top would be comparatively easier to move? There are 12 joists that I nailed this frame to and 5 nails driven using powder actuated nailer. What are my options at this point?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Busy DIYer

Why does one have to create walls in the basement? Why not create a floating or hanging roof and finish the floor? Wouldn't that create a place to hang out?

What is that white piece behind your frame?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Kim,

I have also recently started the job of finishing my basement but did things a little differently than you are.

I was told not to use plastic sheeting against the foundation as that will only trap moisture and eventually lead to mildew. I ended up using paper faced batt insulation. From what I was told, the paper on the insulation acts as the moisture barrier.

I also did not frame directly against the concrete foundation walls. I did not build the walls in sections and raise them into position. Instead I placed the bottom plate (which needs to be treated lumber) about two inches away from the foundation wall. I then added the vertical studs on each end, the top plate, followed by the studs in between. I don't know if this method is the preferred way but it worked very well for me. The benefit that I realized was that the plumbness of the exterior walls was irrelevant to the plumbness of my walls. When you leave a space, you can ensure that each stud that you put up is level and that the corners are truely 90 degrees.

As far as your problem goes, I don't know how you can unattach the stud wall without causing a great deal of damage. The only option that I see is to cut the top plate between each joist and pry the remaining nailed pieces out from the joists. This way you would only need to replace the top plate. I used screws for all of my framing which probably took longer and was more expensive but was nice for instances like this.

I am no expert, I just thought I would share a little bit of my experience in my basement. Here is a pic also of my framing.

Good luck,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
My Basement Project - Framing-basement1.jpg  
andybeck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andybeck For This Useful Post:
kimbhoot (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking in the same direction to cut the top plate but since it's tightly jammed in there, I'm not sure how easy it would be to to pry the nails out without damaging the studs.
btw, your framing job looks really nice and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybeck View Post
Kim,

As far as your problem goes, I don't know how you can unattach the stud wall without causing a great deal of damage. The only option that I see is to cut the top plate between each joist and pry the remaining nailed pieces out from the joists. This way you would only need to replace the top plate. I used screws for all of my framing which probably took longer and was more expensive but was nice for instances like this.

I am no expert, I just thought I would share a little bit of my experience in my basement. Here is a pic also of my framing.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

that's how it's done around here! don't ask me why as I'm not qualified to answer the question. that white thing was my projector screen that I painted on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
Why does one have to create walls in the basement? Why not create a floating or hanging roof and finish the floor? Wouldn't that create a place to hang out?

What is that white piece behind your frame?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #9

You want to move the wall plumb and it is nailed to the joists above?

Why not just cut the nails with a sawzall, putting the blade in between the topplate and the joist or blocking. Tap it plumb and re-nail. A chalkline along the joists would be a good idea as well.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #10

problem solved! used hacksaw and was able to cut the nails and move and straighten the studs :D now my total upper body is sore!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #11

Find Zone: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_par002.htm

Base. ins.= http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_sec002.htm

R-13 (cavity) required per code (minimum). No vapor barrier. A, B, C; http://www.buildingfoundation.umn.ed...jectReview.htm

Pick your wall, follow it through the article, pp. 7: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis
Try a "search" in the white box- top of any page- eg. "basement insulation".

Gary
kimbhoot (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #12

A bit confusing but what I got out of the articles is, according to code, I shouldn't use vapor barrier.
I'm in zone 4A and my basement wall R value is 10/13. so what's the best way to handle the vapor? leave it open or are there any material available that takes care of it. I know the house has moisture treatment applied on the outside walls. please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Find Zone: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_par002.htm

Base. ins.= http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic..._11_sec002.htm

R-13 (cavity) required per code (minimum). No vapor barrier. A, B, C; http://www.buildingfoundation.umn.ed...jectReview.htm

Pick your wall, follow it through the article, pp. 7: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...study-analysis
Try a "search" in the white box- top of any page- eg. "basement insulation".

Gary
Old 09-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
AHH, SPANS!!!

you will also need some fire block foam or fire caulking and put it at the backside of the top of the wall plate where the space between the new wall plate and concrete block wall is. this stops drafts from entering the floor cavity above if ever there was a fire that got into the wall down there. fire foam is easier to work with than fire caulk...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #14

I've seen several ideas for framing inside and outside corners. any recommended methods? (pictures appreciated)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbhoot View Post
I've seen several ideas for framing inside and outside corners. any recommended methods? (pictures appreciated)
double stud on the outside corner. for a taller wall, at about the center of the wall add blocking in the stud bays that tie the outside corner to the rest of the wall.

a good and strong inside corner consists of.. on one wall put two ganged up studs in with 3 or 4 2x blocks spacing the 2 studs to 4 1/2" ( imagine 3 studs nailed together but the blocks take the place of the middle stud) .
on the other wall add one stud that nails to the ganged up studs. there will be 1 1/2" for drywall to nail to coming out of the corner of the wall and the other side will have 1" to nail drywall to.
you can also pre build the inside corner first and then put it into the wall...

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote