Must New Joint Compound Near Top Of Shower Tile Be Primed Before Tiling? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Must new joint compound near top of shower tile be primed before tiling?

Remodeling a townhouse, I'm doing the lions share of the work, except for most of the master bath. I'm having a contractor install a new tub and tile. I'm resurfacing the remaining dry wall, ceiling, fixture install, etc., myself.

The contractor has removed dry wall around tub area in preparation to tile. Complications with his subcontractor arose and the job is on hold for a bit. I'm using the time to do work I need to complete in the same bathroom the contractor is working in.

The ceiling directly over tub area has nail pops, some at the edge close to the walls. After seeing the ceiling without the drywall, a pronounced upward bow in the long run of the ceiling over the tub area is more obvious. It's at the edge where the wall meets the ceiling. I'm using the break the contractor is off site to resurface and straighten the bowed ceiling edge that will meet the top wall tile by skimming with joint compound and feathering it out about 5 inches from the wall.

The surround tile will go to the ceiling capped with a tile that looks a little like crown molding. It will meet and conceal part of the ceiling I'm working on at the wall edge. Time is tight before contractor comes back.

Can I do an initial rough pass of straightening the bowed ceiling edge before the contractor tiles, then come back and finish it when he's out?

Or, do I need to finish the area that will meet the top of the wall tile, so it can be paint primed before the contractor tiles to it. I'd rather finish after he's done—completing before he comes back is super tight, time wise. My concern is that the top edge of the shower tile will cover "raw" unprimed joint compound at the edge of the ceiling and turn to mush over time, if I don't finish and prime it before he comes back.

Advertisement

Last edited by gmhut; 10-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
gmhut is offline   Reply With Quote