Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall?

Hello. First time post with a fairly basic question. I am beginning to plan a kitchen remodeling project and I would like to hear your opinions. We have a wall between the kitchen and dining room that I am thinking of removing. I have checked the structure of our house and the wall is not load bearing.

Should it come down or should it stay? Here is a link to a video of my house so that you can walk thru it. I turned the camera at the end to get more in the view so you may have to tilt your head to see. Sorry. The video does have sound but kinda light so you may have to crank it up. Thanks for looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2b...ature=youtu.be

landar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,552

Do you have a basement? That will tell you a bunch looking from the bottom up if it is unfinished.

Otherwise, I would cut some holes and/or call an engineer.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Do you have a basement? That will tell you a bunch looking from the bottom up if it is unfinished.

Otherwise, I would cut some holes and/or call an engineer.
Yes, I have a basement. This is NOT a question of whether or not the wall can be removed. It is most definitely NON load bearing. The question is one of aesthetics. Remove or leave in place.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,124

If it were my house, I'd remove it. But considering the number of times that I was absolutely positive about something and learned later that I was wrong, I'd still have to hire someone to come over to check the structure for me.

Just my 2

I hope you come back and post some pictures of the work and what it looks like without the wall. I think it'll look great!

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (02-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #5

And that is exactly why I am asking. I want others opinions before I do anything because removing the wall might not be the right thing to do. Or it might be precisely correct. There really is no right or wrong answer here but I do not want to remove it just to regret it later. If I did remove the wall, I would probably install a kitchen island in the space where the kitchen table is now. Removing the wall would most definitely give a panoramic view of the woods out the back (we often watch the wildlife...deer, squirrels, etc.). I simply solicit and value your opinions realizing that, in the end, it is wholly my decision.

That said, I want the decision to be one which also adds value to my home. We will probably be selling in the next few years.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Landar,

If it were mine, I would take it out. That being said, I'm a carpenter and remodeling contractor, so when I tear something out, I always expect to find things in the wall to deal with and also a surprise or two. In your case, a few outlets and a cold air return need to be dealt with. As long as you plan on these things, should be a nice project.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,108

I agree with you, removing the wall would diffinately give your home a more open concept and look great. IMO, it would increase the value of your home and sell quicker, as people are looking for that open concept these days.

If you don't want to deal with the air duct and electrical in this project, just a nice cut out would achieve the same thing. Just my opinion.

Please keep us posted with some pics of your work in progress as you go forward with the project. Thanks.

click here for some more ideas

Last edited by jmon; 02-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,552

Sorry about that.

I am so used to seeing questions about load bearing.

Lump me into the camp for removal as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I will accept your statement about load. It does have a return air shaft so you will need to make that up elsewhere.

Video can be misleading but you want avoid creating a tunnel room. My first ever room addition I made the mistake of making the room to long. I should have only added 6-8 foot and not the 12 I did.

Drawing it out on paper always helps me visualize better than just thinking about it. Spending some time at open houses looking at room you like and don't like also helps.

After saying all of the above, it looks like something I would consider a worthy project.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Blow out the wall and do not use too much dynamite. The floor will be a problem, but that is an excuse to update things away from the cubic spaces.

It is amazing how wide the human eye can see to reveal the total space.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #11

Thanks for all the opinions so far! Approximately how much dynamite will be needed? I am on a tight budget. Don't wanna blow it all in the first round.
The Following User Says Thank You to landar For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
Professional

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with removing. Open kitchens are nice for entertaining but it can be expensive. You may have that cold air return but other HVAC or plumbing may have to be relocated as well.