Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

moving studs supporting trusses

we're remodeling our upstairs and I want to move the studs back in two areas. one to make a closet that sits back in the wall and the second to put a washer dryer so it doesn't take as much space. am I able to do that or is it against code? I cant get my city to call me back or answer. I was hoping I'd be able to move them back about two feet.

hamaker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

your going to have to have someone look at your house to see if the walls are supporting anything.. if so a engineer will have to be consulted

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamaker2000 View Post
we're remodeling our upstairs and I want to move the studs back in two areas. one to make a closet that sits back in the wall and the second to put a washer dryer so it doesn't take as much space. am I able to do that or is it against code? I cant get my city to call me back or answer. I was hoping I'd be able to move them back about two feet.
If the inspector is smart, they will tell you it is wise to leave the washer & dryer downstairs, and just put in a laundry chute to the laundry room.

You would quickly find out how much racket a washer and dryer makes on a wood floor, or realize when you have to haul it up, then back down if it breaks, or even worst, when it overflows and starts flooding the downstairs, maybe it was not such a good idea.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
your going to have to have someone look at your house to see if the walls are supporting anything.. if so a engineer will have to be consulted
its not sitting on a bearing wall and we only want to move a few of them. I could set them back, use larger boards if needed, then screw brackets to secure them. not worried about noise and I'm going to pour a pan and put a drain in the floor where the washer/dryer will be.
hamaker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

pOST US SOME PICTURES
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

if its not structural you'll be fine

as for the laundry chute idea.. that wont fly in most regions.. its a major saftery hazard for two reasons. it gives a place for smoke and fire to travel up through and a child could get in there and either get trapped or fall and get injured
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Its sort of hard to imaging what you are asking, but can you possible remove the studs and add a trimmer stud to the last two studs in the opening and string a header across to carry any roof load? Make an arch way maybe?
mech_gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #8

There are two kinds of designs for trusses that are relevant to this thread.

One type of truss is designed to be attached to a stud wall for support; the other type is not.

The second type is the most common. These trusses are meant to bear only on the outside walls. Any interior walls are meant to not be attached to the trusses, because the bottom chord of the truss will move up and down. They make special clips that allow the truss to move up and down while holding the wall plumb.

Do your trusses have the manufacturer's name printed on them? If so you should contact them.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6

+1 on leaving the washer and dryer downstairs. Trust me.

If they ever go bad, you have a mess on your hands.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving wall, trusses