DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Moldy Pool House (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/moldy-pool-house-132965/)

Jilligoat 02-07-2012 10:41 PM

Moldy Pool House
 
Hey Everyone,

So, the building built around the pool and hottub was not properly ventilated. SOOO... surprise, surprise.. splotches of blackish mold all over the wood surfaces (just plain plywood and rafters for the ceiling).

I have received a range of advice (and researching on my own), but nothing is clear. :( Someone told me to use a pressure washer with bleach added and just paint the exposed wood. Websites are saying to call in the pros for mold abbatement. I'm thinking I should at least pay someone to tell me what kind of mold I'm working with.

The pool/hottub haven't been used in 3 years, so I'm thinking that maybe the mold is just sustaining but not growing.

Anyone with any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!!
Jilligoat

joecaption 02-07-2012 10:49 PM

No treatments going to work unless you figure out how to vent it.
Just adding a ridge vent and making sure there's soffit vents would be a big step. Adding a dehumidifiyer also would be great.
Any exterminator company can treat this with a product with boron in it. It will kill the mold and stop it from coming back.

Maintenance 6 02-11-2012 09:12 AM

Knowing what kind of mold you've got is not really going to help you. You treat them all the same way. I can say without looking that you've got Stachybotrys, Aspergillus, Penecillium and about a dozen others. You could pressure wash, but I wouldn't do it with bleach. Clean first with a detergent or sand it off. Pressure washing is going to rough up the surface of the wood. Not that it wouldn't remove the surface mold, but you'll have that roughed up appearance afterwards. The other bad thing is that you'll have that super aerosolized bleach in the air creating all sorts of chloroform compounds that you'll be breathing. After you clean it, treat it with a fungicide. Quaternary Ammonia, Phenols, Bleach. Take your pick. After it has dried, then seal it with Kilz, Zinnser or some other similar sealer. Then paint it. Solve the moisture issue first. You have a high moisture load in an area like this, so you need to go overboard on ventilation. Unless it is treated with a fungicide, mold will go dormant, but will not be dead. When proper moisture levels resume, it will return with a vengeance.

joecaption 02-11-2012 09:19 AM

Any form of sanding will do to things, grind the mold spores deeper into the wood and make some become air born.

Maintenance 6 02-11-2012 04:27 PM

It will certainly make them airborne. Don't breath the dust. As far as grinding them in, well they're already in there. I don't think you'll add to the population. :laughing: You'll remove more than you'll add.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.