Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #1

Share |

modifying the ceiling

Im about to start work on rehabbing our formal living area, and am looking for ideas on what I could possibly do to add some pizzazz to the ceiling. Initially I had thought of simply adding crown molding round the edges, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if I could add something to it that would add a bit if style. One idea was to put some wood beams up that would run across in line with the trusses above to which theyd be anchored. Another thought was to put a 6 high soffit up that would run round the ceiling to a depth of about 2 3 feet from the walls a neighbor did a neat thing with such an idea, using upside down crown molding layed along the lower inside edge to conceal rope lighting running round the soffit, giving a really nice lighting effect when switched on. Alternatively I could possibly add some kind of feature to the center of the ceiling - I'm just not quite sure what to do. Anyone got a suggestion?

Also, if I'm essentially adding the framework and drywall for something like the soffit mentioned, can the W trusses bear some of the weight adequately, or should I be looking to ensure that the walls bear the entire weight? The wood and additional drywall shouldn't weigh more than a few hundred pounds, spread below 8 trusses, plus the walls at either end.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Mod

modifying the ceiling

Have you thought about a coffered ceiling?
http://www.google.com/search?q=coffe...iw=999&bih=618

Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

modifying the ceiling

Could you post a pic?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

modifying the ceiling

Here's a picture of the kind of ceiling I had in mind, which is similar to what the friend did. Nice looking, and you can see the lighting effect mentioned in my first post. I never got a close enough look at the friend's work to tell if he set the reversed crown molding right along the lower inside edge, or a bit higher, leaving a distinct corner.

I thought about a fully coffered ceiling, but there are some issues with slight sag in the ceiling between the trusses that would make life difficult. I'd have to replace the entire ceiling and deal with all the hassle of the insulation. That's why I was looking for a relativel easy alternative that would allow me to simply add to the existing ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
modifying the ceiling-ar122599939752354.jpg  
timbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

modifying the ceiling

That is a nice pic, but I meant one of your ceiling.

What looks great in an old Victorian home might look weird in a Craftsman bungalow.

The size of the room and type of house will make a difference in what looks good and/or appropriate.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #6

modifying the ceiling

Here is mine.

I have the led rope lighting installed above.

[IMG][/IMG]

waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote