Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Mini Brick Backsplash

I may have convinced my wife to scrap a prefab tile panel backsplash in favour of a mini brick, as long as I do it yesterday or sooner.
Has any one had any experience pro or con with this type os small tile or stone, tumbled texture / stone look and how big a job is it? I am considerring a galley kitchen with 21ft of backsplash.I've never tiled before but have the toys to try it.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mini Brick Backsplash

Tiling is fun, and using tumbled brick-type tiles will be a good first project. Since the edges are somewhat rounded and irregular, small mistakes won't be as obvious.

Definately use a wet saw. Not using a wet saw will make you never want to lay tile again. Having one for the job will make life easy and the job will be neater.

It can be a little challenging to grout stone or brick-type tiles due to their porosity and somewhat irregular faces. Smooth tiles are easier to grout. Just have lots of buckets of water and clean sponges handy. Clean your sponge constantly when wiping the grout off after applying it with a float. Do small areas at a time...Don't do more than you can wipe off before it starts to dry. Sometimes a little margin float is easier than a big grout float, especially in edges and corners. Definately worth having one.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote