Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

mezzanine/second floor in a great room

Well... I've bitin' the bullet and signed up - giving up the idea of not looking totally ignorant in search of knoweldge on how to do this.... I used to have a motor home - now I don't (yay!) But what I do have is a 25' x 40' over engineered steel structure building that will withstand 175 mile sustained wind and a level 9 earth quake... At the same time? Uh... Don't know that... So, the walls are 16' tall and 20' at the peak. I want to build forward from the back of this "barn" forward... It will be a 10' deep (or so) room on which a ceiling is built - the floor of the second story "mezzanine" (or loft). So, here the journey begins.. I'm looking for guidance as to where to start/begin... Help!
Thanks!
The Newest Probie...

newestprobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Is this for living space or just storage?
If it's living space how do you plan on dealing with water supply, drainage, HVAC?
Contacted the company that made the building yet for suggestions?
I've seen this done many times in commercial steel building to make offices but it was all done with steel beams, steel columns, and footings under the columns.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #3

Hey... thanks for responding - much appreciated. This is not for living space - it is just for storage - or may a place to "escape" from the wood shop on the floor of the building where I can go to study things on the computer, draw, draft, ponder, etc... - but, mainly for storage... I want to make certain it is built to handle more than a few boxes of "light" bulbs - think "...this is an upper deck above the wood shop" I converted the RV building into. Thanks again!
--Steve
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #4

Did one of these last year for a customer that turned a part of a large pole barn into living space.We had engineered drawings which I would highly recommend .Used engineered floor trusses supported by LVL's on 6X6 posts supported by a footing.
Engineers take the guess work out .Stamped drawings are needed to get a permit.
I have CAD software so can design and make the drawings myself then take them to an engineer for approval.He makes any changes and I redo the drawing and submit them to him for approval saving lots of his time and my money.Most people know someone these days versed in CAD that can help.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
newestprobie (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks much... Engineered drawings would be great. I'm the property owner and will be doing the work myself (with help from friends in the const. Biz) In our locale permits are not needed when work is done by the owner. Some have told me to just do this like a box in a box and use a spiral staircase, but that really seems like wasting a lot of space. I want to framenin thevwalls and gonfrom there. Cureently, itbis a steel structure with 2x6 cross members, Tyvek sheeting on the outside, hardy plank siding (puttied, sealed and painted), cdx roof with felt, and lattice on whichbthe stone coatvsttel roof (looks like mission tile) is placed upon.

I purchased the steel infrastructure from Miarcle Truss.

Thanks again.
--Steve

Tags
great room, loft, mezzanine, second floor