Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Share |

Metal or Steel Chair Rail Molding

I am looking for inexpensive ideas on either purchasing or making my own metal chair rail molding. I need to be metal or steel so it will be magnetic. Installing in my sons room so he can hang things on his wall with magnets...Any ideas?
chrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrustin View Post
I am looking for inexpensive ideas on either purchasing or making my own metal chair rail molding. I need to be metal or steel so it will be magnetic. Installing in my sons room so he can hang things on his wall with magnets...Any ideas?
Find and visit (don't call) a local sheet metal shop.

Ask them to make you "channel" of whatever width you want (2"?) with slightly less than 1/2" flanges. 18ga galvanized will work well enough but something that can take paint may be preferred.

It'll come in 8 or 10 foot lengths. Cut as needed. Line it up on the wall... score the sheetrock where the flanges lay. Secure in place.

Inexpensive and easily undone in 3 or 4 years when he's older.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
chrustin (07-14-2013), user1007 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #3

You should visit a good metal shop which is near to your home.
ThomasMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Seems to me your kid will grow beyond the usual height of chair rail with the blink of an eye? I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Extruded thin metal chair rail is going to look really dinged up, should say a chair hit it, in short order.

Why not just buy (and paint if you want) a panel of magnetic sheet metal and some super magnets and let him/her have at it? Why confiine a kid to hanging things from chair rail? Seems restrictive and confining to me. A sheet of metal will cost you less than having it formed.

You could paint the metal with chalkboard paint and add value to your kid since he/she could also draw on it? Or have your bodyshop do a heat changing paint number on the thing so it would change colors just by putting a warm finger tip to it? Any paint scheme the body shop came up with would be cheaper than forming metal into chair rail?

Last edited by user1007; 07-31-2013 at 03:26 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote