Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

mattress and box spring

Our mattress, 30 some years old, which we flip and rotate about every two weeks, looks and feels brand new; no visible signs of wear. Sit on or roll to the edge, and it is equally firm thoughout; no dips or rolls. But, overall, the bed is not as stiff, either as it once was, or as we would now prefer. So, my first thought was that we should start looking for a new set, or perhaps just a box spring, but it seems that I have heard of quite a number of people who do not even use a box spring. In fact, although not high on my list of things to do, I have built a number of solid foundations for people, starting with some for water beds, whenever they started to become popular, as well as others for people who needed a firm foundation due to bad backs or other conditions. So, I am now wondering if I want or need to spend money on a box spring, and thinking that I may experiment with it for a week or so, with a sheet of 3/4" plywood between the box spring and mattress, or maybe just lay the mattress on the floor, and see how that feels. But, before going that route, which seems likely to end up with me building a solid foundation, I am just curious what people are sleeping on these days, and what their experience and suggestions may be.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

mattress and box spring

Never heard of anyone not using a box spring with a normal bed. I called my son who is a manager at Sleepys and he's never heard of it.
Cheap out and just use some 1/2 osb it will work just as good as 3/4" for what your trying to do.
I've done it myself when I had an older bed, it worked ok.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

mattress and box spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I am just curious what people are sleeping on these days, and what their experience and suggestions may be.
Dr Breus memory foam purchased at Sleepy's. was a little pricey but I have a bad back and my wife has a fused neck so ...... best sleep we've ever had.

We tried pretty much all the beds at Sleepy's (felt like Goldielocks) and decided on this one because of the comfort, not because of the price.

Over all we are extremely pleased (had it for almost two years now) and happy to have spent the money on it!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
JOATMON

mattress and box spring

30 years?

Wow.....

My wife and I are lucky to get 10 years of use out of ours.....and they are top of the line pillow top mattresses.....maybe it has something to do with my wife being 16 years younger......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
STAFF

mattress and box spring

I am glad you opened this thread, my wife and I are needing a different mattress, as the one we have now is the pits, and maybe we will see what other folks like. We both have bad backs and Judy's neck is in bad shape so we don't get much sleep at a time.

We bought a pillow top and new box springs (if you want to call a hard box a box springs) from Englander and was not right for us. We bought a memory foam bed and another hard box/box springs, that didn't work for us and it was very hot. We bought the one we have now and it is hard as Superman's knee caps.

We bought a 4inch topper, still no good, bought a thinner topper to go on the 4 incher, still no go. I wound up folding the topper on my side because Judy said she could sleep on it. We are now planning to buy a Serta Perfect Sleeper and hope that works. We really want one of the Numbers Bed but they want a war pension for them. I hope others chime in a let us know what they are using that works.

I hope I am not Hijacking your thread.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 11-13-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

mattress and box spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
maybe it has something to do with my wife being 16 years younger......
you dawg

Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

mattress and box spring

BigJim,

we wanted to try out the Sleep Number, but the closest store was some ways from us ..... still want to try one

so far our memory foam bed has been great, not hot like some

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
STAFF

mattress and box spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
BigJim,

we wanted to try out the Sleep Number, but the closest store was some ways from us ..... still want to try one

so far our memory foam bed has been great, not hot like some
Our daughter has one and loves it better than any she has tried.

Jim
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

mattress and box spring

well it sounds like I know what to save my cans and bottles for now ....

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #10

mattress and box spring

Thank you. Well, at least I now know that technology hasn't passed me up too bad, at least in this regard anyway! As I mentioned, I know that at least some matresses are setting on solid foundations, because I have built some for the reason mentioned, and although those are special use, it seems that I have heard more than a few people use the term foundation, rather than box springs, over the past several years, so have been wondering. I think that I will start with the plywood under the mattress, and see how that works out. And yes Joe, I agree that 1/2" will work fine if that's what I end up going with, but I measured some pieces of what I have already cut in the shop last week, and happen to have a piece of 3/4" birch almost the perfect size, so figured that I would lug that up to the house sometime later this week, just to experiment with. Gary, I can't say for sure, otherwise I wouldn't have tossed this out there, but I'm inclined to think that I am going to find that the problem is in the box spring, not the mattress. Regardless though, whether now or later, we'll have to replace the mattress at some point, and I had never considered a foam mattress, so will definitely keep that in mind. Jim, no problem at all. I have been disappointed by the lack of responses a few times when I have posted, so, this probably not being a hot topic, I am glad to have you chime in, and, knowing that I'm not alone dealing with this, will be sure to let you know the direction we head in. Dawg, well, I don't know what to say, other than good for you! My wife is actually a bit older than I, but looks quite a lot younger, and would probably prefer if I acted a bit more like she looks sometimes!
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-13-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

mattress and box spring

I have a traditional mattress and box spring that is comfortable but a little soft for me. I would try a sheet of osb or plywood between your mattress and box spring.

I once had a platform bed and found a thick combination spring and mattress that was extremely comfortable with just the right firmness. I gave it away when I moved to NYC and the bed was not going to fit.

The thing to do is really set aside a day and go try the combinations in a store and then try to figure out what one that feels right has that yours does not. Maybe you do just need new springs.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

mattress and box spring

I wasn't sleeping well. First I removed the thick feather bed topper and then the following 16 mattresses and I found a pea.

My crisis is over
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

mattress and box spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I wasn't sleeping well. First I removed the thick feather bed topper and then the following 16 mattresses and I found a pea.

My crisis is over
I hate hearing of adults peaing in the bed!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #14

mattress and box spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I hate hearing of adults peaing in the bed!

hmmmfff

We are not amused
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
STAFF

mattress and box spring

When y'all say box springs, are they really springs like years ago. The best sleeping I ever did was when I was a child living way back out in the sticks sleeping on a stuffed down feather mattress, that thing just wrapped around you and was so warm and comfortable, ...sigh.

Jim