Masonry Concrete Work, Creating Walkout Basement? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

masonry concrete work, creating walkout basement?

Messing with the idea of possibly having some excavation done in my yard and creating a walkout/up basement entrance, nothing super fancy, just a door and a stairwell, right now my basement (on the side where i'd be doing this ) is half in/half out, (picture below) i'd be putting the door either in another area that the basement is at half-grade, or in that double hung window frame right there, so basically, what i know would be involved in this project would be:

-an engineer letting me know what additional support i would need,
-a mason, cutting through the concrete wall (3-4ft) wall of the foundation
-excavation on the outside,
-engineer speccing/building out retaining walls to hold the 3-4 ft of dirt, and handling a drainage problem (wouldnt want it to fill up with water and flood the basement.

the area in question:
http://www.demiseguild.org/images/house/P1010272.JPG

an example of what i'd like, although not this nice, the retaining wall, and step work does not ahve to be top notch, this example is courtesy of absoluteremodeling.com

http://www.absoluteremodeling.com/im...ley002.666.JPG http://www.absoluteremodeling.com/im...ey012.666b.JPG

What i want to know is, how big of a project is this? How many people need to be involved? What would something liket his go for, start to finish if i decided to not be involved at all?

Advertisement

geminisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You would call a few contractors and get estimates based on locality.
Cutting out a half wall and digging the opening could be done much more easily then a full wall. The tricky part would be the drain and it's routing away from the house.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ron,

Thanks for replying to my post, (and my other one). i'll follow up with this route.
geminisr is offline   Reply With Quote