Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Make your own Bathtub?

My boyfriend and I are working on a bathroom remodel. Due to the small size of the bathroom and a limited budget, we are considering building our own bathtub. Is this feasible? What materials would we need or would work best? Any advice or knowledge would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Tile and Paint contractor

Make your own Bathtub?

you could just get one of those inflatable kiddie pools and fill it with whip cream

build your own bath tub???
You could always go to a place like Habitat for Humanity to get a big discount on a new tub

Old 04-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Make your own Bathtub?

If you mean make your own bathtub that looks like a bathtub, then no. If you mean frame it in and tile it, it's feasable, but would likely cost more than a regular bathtub, especially after the trial and error that usually goes along with your first tile job, and beyond that, this wouldn't be a regular tile job. Remember it would have to be beyond water-proof, this would be a water HOLDING tile job.

I'm with Matt, don't try it. Around here the stores he's referring to are called ReStore's I believe, they take excess donations from H4H projects and sell it to turn into monetary donations.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
I have gas!

Make your own Bathtub?

Does anyone really take baths anymore? Consider ditching the tub and just go with a shower; either a unit or a tile job.
I might be wrong, but I would think a DIY tub would take away from the value of your home.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Make your own Bathtub?

Yea, you can get the cheap. The habitat re-stores, crags list and building supply auctions. I'm talking about near free. See many tubs, one piece showers, corner units, etc go for $1 at auction. If you are in PA let me know and I'll give you the details of the auction I'm talking about.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #6

Make your own Bathtub?

They make 48 " tubs. And no, you cannot make your own bathtub. You can attempt it, but you will not succeed.
Ron
Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Make your own Bathtub?

Check Mobile Home Supply houses, due to they stock the smaller size tubs that you cannot find at a Do-It center.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Make your own Bathtub?

Stainless steel specialty shop, they will bend, weld and cut the drains where you want then.......we do this for machine shop sinks and washups cool for todays decor..........
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Make your own Bathtub?

I'm looking at doing this myself. There are lots of materials that you can use. For instance, there is a company that makes sinks and bathtubs out of teak. Bathtubs used to be made from wood long before they were made from modern materials. Hot tubs are often made from cedar.

The major considerations are the ability of the materials to not only be water tight but to also be strong enough to hold the weight of the water and bather(s) as well as the outward pressure exerted by 50 or so gallons.

Take a look at marine fiberglass, or custom bent copper sheets as well.

PapaCriss
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #10

Make your own Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCriss View Post
I'm looking at doing this myself. There are lots of materials that you can use. For instance, there is a company that makes sinks and bathtubs out of teak. Bathtubs used to be made from wood long before they were made from modern materials. Hot tubs are often made from cedar.

The major considerations are the ability of the materials to not only be water tight but to also be strong enough to hold the weight of the water and bather(s) as well as the outward pressure exerted by 50 or so gallons.

Take a look at marine fiberglass, or custom bent copper sheets as well.

PapaCriss
Do you have a picture of a cedar hot tub? Sounds cool but I've never seen one!

Mine is acrylic.

Nevermind, I found some. Pretty neat looking. Wouldnt want one in my house though.

Last edited by tigerbalm2424; 04-27-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #11

Make your own Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatre8rose View Post
My boyfriend and I are working on a bathroom remodel. Due to the small size of the bathroom and a limited budget, we are considering building our own bathtub. Is this feasible? What materials would we need or would work best? Any advice or knowledge would be much appreciated! Thanks.
I believe it can be done, i own my own tile business and refuse to spend five grand for a nice tub, I'm in the process of remodeling a house i bought and i know the concrete wouldn't cost much ill put the liner in the middle of my form and pour it, then it will be concrete on the out side layer and i dont care what kind of tile you buy, you only need a small footage amount so its going to be cheap it wont cost more than five hundred unless you want to install jets but i think it would be cheaper plus it looks like you paid out the ass.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
General Contractor

Make your own Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
And no, you cannot make your own bathtub. You can attempt it, but you will not succeed.
Ron
I beg to differ. The more we get into concrete countertops, the more the industry is testing the limits of what was thought to be workable.

This book:
Concrete at Home
By: Fu-Tung Chen, with Eric Olsen
Published by: Taunton Press
ISBN: 1-56158-682-X
216 Pages, 9 x 11

And this:Concrete is undergoing a similar transformation: drab, utilitarian gray is giving way to muted and vivid color palettes, surprising textures, and bold experimental forms. This wonderfully tactile material can be made as slick and shiny as a mirror or as rough textured and nonreflecting as sandpaper. Today you'll find colorful concrete used as counters, sinks, bathtubs, furniture, fireplace surrounds, and floors.

Full text:http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...ag_article.htm

We routinely pour concrete countertops in new homes, and I have been asked to design a Roman bath tub in a custom we are working on. It could be a DIY project, if you prepare for it, and understand the basic skills you need.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #13
waiting for spring

Make your own Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramie beaver View Post
I believe it can be done, i own my own tile business and refuse to spend five grand for a nice tub, I'm in the process of remodeling a house i bought and i know the concrete wouldn't cost much ill put the liner in the middle of my form and pour it, then it will be concrete on the out side layer and i dont care what kind of tile you buy, you only need a small footage amount so its going to be cheap it wont cost more than five hundred unless you want to install jets but i think it would be cheaper plus it looks like you paid out the ass.

you can go to any big box store and BUY a fiberglass tub for alot less than that.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
PK.

Make your own Bathtub?

You can build your own bathtub if you just want to. There's all sorts of people who have made tubs out of cedar and custom tubs are made from concrete and tile everyday. There's plenty of swimming pools lined with tile or gunite. If it's an outdoor tub you can get one of those underwater wood heaters. I think it was Popular Woodworking magazine that had an article about doing this a few years ago. My old next door neighbor made his own hot tub. I helped him frame a form out of plywood and 2x4's and he hand laid up fiberglas mat. He took it to a boat shop to get the color and gel coat done. He added his own jets, heaters, filters and pump. It came out pretty well. Get yourself a few good books and have at it.

Last edited by PK.; 11-26-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #15

Make your own Bathtub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichard21 View Post
you can go to any big box store and BUY a fiberglass tub for alot less than that.
only problem is it looks a lot cheaper to, i want a high end look and we both know fiber glass wont achieve that.

Closed Thread