Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

looking for whirlpool tub advice

I need to replace my 60x32 tub, and I'm considering replacing it with a whirlpool type tub. But my main concern is the possibility of leaking hoses and accessing them. This tub will fit in a standard tub size area, with just one side exposed. That side, on whirlpools I've seen has an access panel, but what if one of the jets on the wall side of the unit leaks, how do you access and repair it without pulling the whole unit out or going through the backside of that wall??

Thanks

madfinnhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

My first NYC apartment was this rather interesting but overboard, all marble one bedroom in an antique brownstone. One of the features was a nice Kohler whirlpool tub I thought would be great and I used it constantly for the first week I lived there. The novelty wore off quickly.

I read that I had to treat the thing so the water lines to the jets did not grow evil stuff while they were not being used. I had a jacuzzi at my health club a block away with more powerful jets. Not sure it was any healthier but it smelled of chlorine or whatever more than I was willing to have my tiny apartment smell like.

I found I really did not use the one at home much after the initial thrill wore off. Some who visited or otherwise stayed over liked it I guess but even most of them were shower people. The Kohler shower part of it was one of those with jets coming at you from all directions if wanted. It was nice, I must admit.

I wouldn't worry about not having access to one jet though if you want to put one in especially if the model you have in mind has an access panel. I would be thinking of a dedicated circuit or something for the electronics of the thing. Have an electrician do it.

Worked for these crazy Ukranians until I could not stand it anymore putting in whirpool tubs in every apartment they slapped together in the tackiest of ways. Cheapest units I could imagine. I definitely would not get one of those.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfinnhockey View Post
I need to replace my 60x32 tub, and I'm considering replacing it with a whirlpool type tub. But my main concern is the possibility of leaking hoses and accessing them. This tub will fit in a standard tub size area, with just one side exposed. That side, on whirlpools I've seen has an access panel, but what if one of the jets on the wall side of the unit leaks, how do you access and repair it without pulling the whole unit out or going through the backside of that wall??

Thanks
The only way to avoid what you mentioned would be to install this in the middle of the room with clear access all around. I put one in 10 years ago as a tub replacement and have never had a problem. If I did, I would just open the wall behind the unit.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote