Looking To Improve Curb Appeal - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Looking to improve curb appeal

Just bought this house/rental. Got it for a great price--it's easily one of the ugliest houses in the nice, mature neighborhood where it stands. I'd like to improve the curb appeal dramatically--landscaping is a must, but I'm sure there is more I can do to make it not appear so bland and boring. Any ideas?

Advertisement

smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Landscaping would be the first and biggest improvement.

After that:
- Remove the antenna
- Larger front entrance way (i.e. patio)
- New front door

Those are the most cost effective ones that I can think of.

A steel roof would look awesome on that home in shake or standing seam.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

I agree with all of your suggestions. Not too sure what you mean about a larger front entrance though. I'm looking for an affordable way to distract attention from the front door not being centered with the house--not really in the budget to expand to double doors. Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Looks fine as it sits now. Really see no problems with it. If the renters wish to place planters on the porch, they could, but really at this point, the min. amount that is there, makes it look cleaner, and would give less work for the renters or your hired company that you have maintaining the property, would have to worry about.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey847 View Post
I agree with all of your suggestions. Not too sure what you mean about a larger front entrance though. I'm looking for an affordable way to distract attention from the front door not being centered with the house--not really in the budget to expand to double doors. Any thoughts?
Expand the brick patio/walkway up front.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Any ideas on adding some architectural interest to the middle section? I kind of hate that the roofline is the same as the rest of the house--makes it look short and squatty.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey847 View Post
Any ideas on adding some architectural interest to the middle section? I kind of hate that the roofline is the same as the rest of the house--makes it look short and squatty.
A gable roof off the columns would take care of that.

You used the word "affordable" in an earlier post. What does that mean?

If you were my customer with your same questions one of my first responses would be "what's the budget". Without having an idea of that many of the possible design options are moot.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #8

I guess the definition of affordable is quite conceptual--I'm not looking for a $20,000 facelift, but something in the $1-2k range, excluding landscaping--that's a given. I've thought about a false gable. Would you build one that spanned the entire length of the middle section or smaller?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

We bought a brand new wooden door for the front for $25. Contemplating on whether to stain it black to match the shutters or to pull some color from a wood stain to create sort of a cottage/craftsman look. The door is a standard 36", but I failed to realize the previous door is like 35 3/4-36". Hoping to be able to shave a bit off each edge. Any suggestions?

Here's a picture of it leaned up in the entry.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

The opening you have should be a standard 36" opening. If the slab you got is actually 36", opening is as you stated, 35 3/4" to 36", you have a standard 36" door framing. Most likely you will not be able to use just the slab on the existing frame. That means you will have to build or purchase a new frame for that slab you got for a deal.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

Slowly making improvements along the way. Put better looking lights flanking the doors and started the process of getting landscaping around the foundation. Next step is to pine straw. Don't mind the cabinets on the front porch.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

I like the unit on the Left side of the porch, along with the cabinet to the Right of the door. Maybe add a couple of chairs to the Left side, and a Bench to the Right. I would do some kind of edging around the beds. Maybe a poured tinted type, or River rocks to form a border.

As for that Downspout drainage, do you have it going into a popup, or just into a drywell? You could also do a Stained/Stamped walkway, that curves a bit, along with a new step.

As for plants, just keep doing a bit at a time, but keep it not where you are going to end up spending a whole weekend tending to.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

Haha the unit on the left is a cabinet torn out of the kitchen, just there temporarily. I'll probably just do a trench edging around the landscaping. You can't see the left side of the house, but the bed is totally rounded, with a large holly planted at the end to round the edge.

The downspouts were already buried and drain into a creek that runs the perimeter of the property. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Even though the cabinet is out of the Kitchen, I would still do something similar to it, maybe out of Teak or Cedar. That way it would hold plants, or other items in the niches.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

New photos with pine straw.

Advertisement