Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for confirmation these walls are not load-bearing walls

I'm starting a basement remodel and planning to take out a couple of walls to open the basement up. I'm 99% sure the walls are not load-bearing, so I'm just hoping for help to get that 100% confirmation. I'm a DIYer with some moderate experience around my own house, but any thoughts from more experienced contractors and structural engineers would be greatly appreciated.

The link below has a bunch of images including two diagrams with the floor layout and the walls I'm planning to take out.

http://s920.photobucket.com/user/jma...ment%20Remodel

A couple of other notes:

-I started the demo today so I could get a better view of what was behind the walls, but I've only taken down the drywall. All the frames are currently still up. I also have yet to take down the drywall around the closet in Room B, so the view there is still obstructed in the photos.
-There's an I-beam above the basement ceiling, which goes from left-to-right in the diagrams. It's supported by two metal posts, one of which is not visible in the photos as it's under the stairway. The I-beam and posts is the main reason I'm pretty sure the walls are not load-bearing
-The ceiling joists between the basement and 1st floor go from top-to-bottom in the diagrams, so they're perpendicular to the I-beam.
-One of the support posts was hidden behind Wall 1 in the diagrams. Whoever did the prior work used 2x4s to frame the wall, but I guess that wasn't thick enough to hide the post, so they nailed on 2x2s to the 2x4s. Why they didn't go with 2x6s I have no clue.
-I'm not sure if it's really visible from the photos, but there are no pieces of lumber larger than a 2x4. I also haven't noticed any areas where multiple 2x4s were stacked (other than standard door frame stuff) which I would expect to find if the walls were load-bearing.

Let me know if you need any more details to give an informed opinion. Thanks everyone!

jmai14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

I see no way that's a supporting wall.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Absolutely not a bearing wall. The steel and posts are providing the support. Just verify that the steel has not been cut or altered in any way.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, beam, load bearing wall, remodel, wall removal