Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

Load bearing walls interior

Hey all. I am going to do some remodeling in the master bath and I want to move about 5 feet of a ten foot out about 3.5 feet out in one direction. It is an interior wall. How can I tell if it load bearing or not?? I am not going to tear out a wall obvoiusly until I know if it is just a partion or an actual bearing wall. Who would be the best person to contact about this. Thanks. Don
handyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

A competent remodeled, builder, architect, engineer or maybe even a handyman might be able to tell you. Do not take any advice from us on this.

That said - Usually if the wall in question is parallel to the floor and ceiling framing its not load bearing, if its perpendicular then it is load bearing. Usually, not always, your situation may be different.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #3

1st floor, 2nd floor?
Can you see which way the joists run in the attic or basement?
Is there a wall above/below this wall?
Just because they run one way in one area does not mean they run that way everywhere. The joists I see in my basement run different ways in different areas
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

As a rule, if the ends of the ceiling/floor joists rest on the wall it is definitely load bearing. For example, if you get in the attic, you'll see the ends of the joists of your bedrooms rest on the hallway walls on either side. There are generally separate, short joists that span the hallway for it's ceiling. If there is any structural roof framing, such as wind beams resting on a wall, it is load bearing. To be safe, you need to contact a building or remodeling contractor. I don't think the cost of an engineer is necessary......
Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Home Remodeler

In most cases this will require a permit and an a drawing developed by an engineer.
mikey48 is online now   Reply With Quote