Load Bearing Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Question

Load Bearing Wall

I have a wall that my wife wants to remove but I do not know if it is a load bearing wall or not. I would like to get some feedback before paying an engineer to come in. If the wall is load bearing we will leave it as is because there is not enough money in the budget to add beams, etc. However, if it is not, then we would like to get permits and pay the engineer to sign off on it and have it removed.

I have pictures but I am not sure if they will attach correctly. Please let me know if they do not.

One thing that I do know is that the main beam in the basement runs parallel with this wall and that the floor joists and ceiling joists in this area also run parallel with the wall.

Advertisement

JRocket1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 474

Without photos everything is a guess, even drawings speak volumes. As a general rule load bearing walls would run parallel to the beam near the center of house oer that beam.

Advertisement

BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

I have the pictures in my Album under my name. It would not let me post them to my post for some reason.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,550

are those pictures in an attic?
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,094

The topic of load bearing wall comes up a lot on this forum. A load bearing wall is any wall that carries more than its own weight. In order to determine if a wall is load bearing, it is necessary to carefully examine all the framing above the wall to see if any framing bears on the wall. Typical framing that may bear on a wall includes another wall above, floor joists, a pony wall, or diagonal framing (common in attics).

It is never possible to make an absolute determination about whether a wall is load bearing from photos alone. A hands on investigation is always necessary, and it may be necessary to open up the ceiling, or get into the attic above. You need an experienced inspector to figure this out, could be an engineer, architect, experienced carpenter, or a contractor. If the wall is NOT load bearing, you can simply remove it, of course check with your local building inspector to see if a permit is necessary. If the wall is load bearing, you will need a design for a header, supports, possibly footings for the support posts, and details of the necessary connections.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post

It is never possible to make an absolute determination about whether a wall is load bearing from photos alone.
did you look at his pictures? It looks like its in an attic to me.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

I added some more pictures from before I tore the walls down. I believe this area was once entirely considered an attic. When we bought the house the room was already finished and was considered a bedroom and there was one unfinished room up there that was called the attic. The reason I believed that it was all the attic was because the room was added somewhere in the 70s or 80s when people used particle board for wall finishing. The house was built in the 30s I believe. The other reason is the staircase. The way the landing is looks just like the attic in the house that I grew up in.

I tore the plaster down because of an issue with calcimine paint on the one side and the room was particle board with a plaster swirl finish that we hated. We were originally just going to drywall everything and then decided that if the wall wasn't needed that we would remove it.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #8

I can get up there later and take a picture of the framing that is above the walls in this area if it will help.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 6,652

JRocket1207, particle board has never been used for Wall Framing. Masonite was used around the 1950's instead of Drywall in some areas.

That whole space is considered attic space. All you need to look at, is which way the joists run either across or along the wall you are wanting to remove.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #10

I don't think there is any way thats a load bearing wall but I'd toss in a bunch-o-collar ties first. If its in an attic there is nothing above it to bear.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #11

you have cedar shingles on your roof?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 6,652

Also if you are keeping that old railing at the top of the stairs, it needs to be raised to 36" under today's code. You may be able to take the whole assembly to a shop or even someone that does any cabinet making, etc. and have them keep the original and just make a box for the Newel Post and make higher railings, to bring it up to code, but still keep the original style.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
JRocket1207 (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,634

Yes, the last picture shows the left hand corner of wall is supporting a horizontal doubled rafter, possibly from an old skylight or chimney... it runs perpendicular to the main rafters. Your rafter require furring/doubling if over-spanned. The window requires safety glazing as it is in the egress path.

Gary
Old 07-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #14

How about a couple pictures of the roof from outside?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The topic of load bearing wall comes up a lot on this forum. ...

It is never possible to make an absolute determination about whether a wall is load bearing from photos alone. A hands on investigation is always necessary, and it may be necessary to open up the ceiling, or get into the attic above. You need an experienced inspector to figure this out, could be an engineer, architect, experienced carpenter, or a contractor.

Listen to this man

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
Tom738 (07-13-2015)

Tags
load bearing wall , wall removal