Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |

Load Bearing or Not?

I am working on two different remodels in my house and I waited to start the one involving removing a wall until I had the bathroom above it cleared out. The wall in question is a dividing wall between the two master closets. The wall runs parallel to the floor joists for the second story. My only concern is the box-out they created for the bathroom area that sits on top of this wall. As you can see in the pictures (the ones inside the closet) the wall has a double top plate. However, so do the walls that run perpendicular to it (as well as perpendicular to the floor joists). It seems as though every single interior wall in my house was built with a double top plate so it makes it a little more difficult to discern what is load-bearing and what is not.

For ease of conversation, the wall I am removing will be called "wall a". The wall that separates the closets from the bathroom will be "wall b".

The pictures from the attic show the wall in question (the one where you can see the light shining through from the closet). In the zoomed out photo, you will see the 2 2x10 boards that end on top of "wall b" with a floor joist running right between and parallel to them.

My ultimate question is whether or not I can get away with removing "wall a" without a support beam replacing it. I would like to make the remaining walls appear as though "wall a" never existed by doing a little drywall work. If you need any more photos, please let me know what you would like to see.

Regards,

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Load Bearing or Not?-image-1-.jpg   Load Bearing or Not?-image-2-.jpg   Load Bearing or Not?-image-3-.jpg   Load Bearing or Not?-image.jpg  

Last edited by pmcdermott; 04-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.
pmcdermott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
load bearing, remodel, wall removal