Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

Lay concrete over concrete?

I have an old nasty looking concrete patio. I want to refinish it. The plan is I was going to put some 2x4's around it, pour 2 inches of concrete on top, than I have a stamping tool to give it a rock look and I was going to press that in around the patio than let it dry.

Will this work? Other than cleaning the old concrete what prep should I do?

Does it need to be reenforced? I dont see how I would with the stamping tool.

Thanx!
cademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

where are you located? Exposed to freeze/thaw cycles?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

Northern California. Gets pretty cold in the winter but not freezing. Here is a better breakdown if it will help

http://www.idcide.com/weather/ca/olivehurst.htm

But I don't think it ever quite hits freezing
Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
General Contractor

You would need to purchase or order a mix that specifically states it's ok for a 2" slab. Run of the mill bagged concrete is usually suited to 4", maybe 3" slabs.

Are you sure your stamp needs to press all the way through the concrete? You are not easily going to fit re-bar in a 2" slab, but in a thicker slab the bar would keep cracks from turning into crevasses.

Have fun,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #5

The press doesn't have to be pushed all the way through, it was just the plan. but two inches doesn't leave a very big press with rebar.

What if I make it thicker? I have to go remeasure the distance between the porch and my door, but I think its only about 4 inches, thats why I estimated 2 for the slab. Its also been suggested to me if I clean the old concrete very well and also lay an epoxy before I lay the concrete, than use a concrete with fiberglass strands?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

I forget what it's called, but there is a special glue you can add to your cement mix. It looks like milk. That may help make sure it adheres properly. It's used in parging.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

This is only my opinion, but the prep work I would personally do would involve removing the existing concrete.

A 2" topping is reiant on the stability o fthe existing patio. S, if the existing patio is aciveley moving & cracked, expect the same fron the topping in a short time.

As for the stamping, Good luck. There is a fairly substantial learning curve involed in decorative concrete if you are by any means "picky".
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #8

Current concrete isn't ruined, its just an ugly grey slab and I am trying to think of a way to nice it up
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
the Musigician

If it's an ok slab, not broken or all cracked, maybe just putting on a nice epoxy coating would be best/cheapest/easiest?
There are some pretty awesome looking ways to do a real strong, watertight surface!
Looking around http://www.daichcorp.com/ at some of the ways these coatings can look might help?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote