Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Laundry room remodel

I will be remodeling the laundry room next week and I can't decide on tile or just painting the walls. The floor will be tile. I have looked at a few tile stores and everything looks to much like a kitchen. If I do tile the walls how do you trim out the doors and how high would you go up the walls. This room has 3 36" doors and 9' ceilings.

The front loading washer and dryer (I plan to stack them) makes enough vibration that you can feel through the house. I am looking for a way to reduce the vibration. Would isolation blocks do any good? Or, is it better to make the floor more solid by adding mass, as in 3/4 ply, 1/2" cement board and tile. Is there anything I can do to the joists. Sister joists and another beam is not an option but blocking and/or drywall.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
PHB Construction LLC

Rewards Points: 75

Laundry room remodel

I'm all for a solid floor under a washer and dryer. With that said adding layers also brings up the issue of floor height differences. Nothing your contemplating would be bad. Just a few things. Glue and screw a subfloor. Between the tile board and sub floor, add thin-set. Then screw the tile board down with lots of screws. Use a high grade thin-set for your tiles, don't go cheap.

Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Laundry room remodel

I would think that tile on the walls is just going to make the room bounce around sound even more so I would just paint. Some sort of vibration absorbers/dampers or isolation blocks would not hurt.

Do install automatic shut-off valves while you are at this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Laundry room remodel

The automatic shut offs seem so cheaply made I am afraid they will be a maintenance issue. Maintenance as in - replace them often. Because it will be difficult to get at the water supply I hesitate to install one. A neighbor had one of the Watts units that had to be replaced four times in a year and I have heard they may not work with my front loading machine. On the other hand, I am concerned because the convenient shut off will be in the basement while the laundry room in on the first floor so I considered one of the ones with a sensor but my wife tends to get the floor really wet when cleaning it. Do you have an suggestions for a quality unit?
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote