Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #1

Share |

Laundry closet remodel

I think i've posted a few other things on this project here before, but i'm getting ready to get going on this and have a few more questions.

The short of what I'm doing is I have a second floor condo with a single wall that has two closets along it, one part has a compact/stacked washer/dryer combo and some shelving the second closet has just a water heater. My plan is to remove these doors and remove the fake wall seperating these two areas so i can get enough room to put in two standard sized front loading washers side by side.

The main question I have is that code requires the water heater to rest on a metal drain pan which is quite ugly and unattractive. My idea is to get rid of the drain pan and install a drain in the floor using what would basically be a shower drain, a proper shower liner and sloping the floor into the drain and then of course tiling over the whole thing and a few inches up the wall and then finally using tiles with a slight lip around the outside edge. So my question is, would something like this meet code or am I stuck with the ugly metal pans?

lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #2

Laundry closet remodel

The purpose of the pan is to catch and redirect water when the tank fails, and they always fail. Your plan does the same thing. Check local code, but i see not problem with it.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #3

Laundry closet remodel

I've seen a few on 2nd floor washer applications. There are a few types, just Google "trap primer" , here is the simplest:

http://www.jrsmith.com/green_buildin..._prime_eze.htm They keep water in the trap so no gases come up. Use stainless steel braided hoses to your washer, as well. As Bill said, check with your local B.D. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote