DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

latest problem...window replacement

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  johnrem 
#1 ·
I have been overhauling my laundry room and 1/2 bath. The previous owner rigged everything. He had a window that was 38x24 set up so it hung 24x38. I bought a replacement window thinking that there would be all of the normal stops outside. I was wrong. He caulked about 5# of silicon under the window. Now I need to either figure out a way to rig this window up or get a construction window from Home Depot. Any tips?

#4 ·
Your set, Just gonna take a little work. First take down the vinyl siding panels on either side of the window. Im assuming you dont have a aluminum bending brake since your a home owner, SO go to home depot and buy some "never rot" vinyl/pvc brickmould, Or if your other windows have flat casing, buy some azek or neverot flat vinyl casing. Make a picture frame for the outside of the window, measure so that your picture frame overlaps onto the face of the window aprox 1/2" all the way around. When you install it, make sure you set the trim into a bead of silicone on the window and on the surrounding wall (this caulking is not meant to be visible) Also buy a piece aluminum window drip edge to go on top of your new casing. Then put J channel around the new trim, and re-install your siding, your going to have to trim the pieces when you re-install them Then get a tube of really good exterior caulking like OSI and run a bead between the new trim and the window.

#6 ·
I just want to write this back to confirm. I will make a frame from the brickmould that will be a 1/2" small on the inside then the window is. I will then caulk the outside wall and install the moulding. Once that is up and nailed I will secure the window against this moulding?

Where do I install the drip edge?

Sorry for the clueless questions. I really am not this bad.

#7 ·
yea, you got it right, the drip edge which is in the picture is going to sit on top of the picture frame, to keep water from going down between the frame and the house. If you gonna do a brickmould picture frame, make it up on a workbench, and glue the corners together, square it up and screw the corners together so you have something nice and tight. If you have a finish gun you can attach it to the house with some 3" finish nails.

The replacement window is just gonna snug against it, the screws through the window jamb are whats gonna secure the window. DO NOT use latex or painters caulk when you do you final exposed bead of caulk between the frame and the window. Make sure you properly Tab your J channels when you put the siding back together

Attachments

#9 ·
I put a self sealing membrane around the wood and installed the window today. I ran out of time but will be making the frame we discussed. Here is my next question...This window is inside of a covered porch. The only potential water is if it rains sideways since it's 2' inside of the roof. Do I need to drip edge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.