DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Last minute Tips for Window Replacement?

5K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  gmhammes 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally have some time to take off from work so i'm going to be putting in the replacement windows i purchased a month ago or so. Just making sure i'm not missing any major steps here...

The windows do have a nail flange and are vinyl.
Remove exterior/interior window trim
Remove window panes
Cut siding (cedar) 2" from window frame to reveal the existing nail flange
remove window frame
reframe rough opening if neccessary
dry test fit new window (square/plumb)
Flash bottom sill of rough opening, (4" up the sides as well)
Caulk window flange and set in place
Square/plumb and set corner nail of flange
Square/plumb again and nail off remaining, make sure window operates
Flash sides then top (piece in cedar scraps over nail flange so 1x4 trim sits flush?, flash over the cedar scrap?)
install z channel above window trim (is this neccessary on vinyl windows?) and 1x4 cedar trim
Insulate interior (low expanding foam)
Finish and trim interior

I have a fairly good grasp on this project (i hope) and have installed windows before but only new construction homes.

Feel free to ask questions and or criticize as that is why i am posting it here.

Thank you all for your help and time! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Finally have some time to take off from work so i'm going to be putting in the replacement windows i purchased a month ago or so. Just making sure i'm not missing any major steps here...

The windows do have a nail flange and are vinyl.
Remove exterior/interior window trim
Remove window panes
Cut siding (cedar) 2" from window frame to reveal the existing nail flange
remove window frame
reframe rough opening if neccessary
dry test fit new window (square/plumb)
Flash bottom sill of rough opening, (4" up the sides as well)
Caulk window flange and set in place
Square/plumb and set corner nail of flange
Square/plumb again and nail off remaining, make sure window operates
Flash sides then top (piece in cedar scraps over nail flange so 1x4 trim sits flush?, flash over the cedar scrap?)
install z channel above window trim (is this neccessary on vinyl windows?) and 1x4 cedar trim
Insulate interior (low expanding foam)
Finish and trim interior

I have a fairly good grasp on this project (i hope) and have installed windows before but only new construction homes.

Feel free to ask questions and or criticize as that is why i am posting it here.

Thank you all for your help and time! :thumbsup:
I’m not understanding this part. You have cedar lap siding and you’re trimming with 1x over the top?

#3 ·
Sorry, cedar panel siding not lap (hopefully that's correct). Basically when i cut the 2" of cedar around the window to get to the nail flange and have room for the new nail flange the 1x4 will then butt up against the window to cover that 2" however i would put the scrap 2" peices back in over the new nail flange to allow the 1x4 trim to be solid again the house and window. Hopefully that clears it up a bit. I was wondering after i piece in those 2" pieces if i should flash over those before putting the trim up.

And yes, i am putting the trim on top of the cedar, it is how it was originally done as well just with different trim.

Thank you,

-greg

#4 ·
In this case your head flashing should go over the top of the window itself and behind the paper. Besides that it sounds like you have a handle on it.

Post a few pic’s of your first one in progress, if you’re messing up I’m sure someone will shout.

The only other thing I can add is don’t set the saw to deep and cut the paper. You’re better off a little short and breaking the piece out and finish the splinters with a knife or chisel.

One more important thing, “Don’t Drop The Windows”.

#8 ·
Reactions: gmhammes
#10 ·
Install a piece of bevel siding on the sill before the flex sticky wrap. pp#2, third picture....

Be safe, Gary

#11 ·
OKay, found it. Thank you! Curious as to why? Just simply educating myself self, not questionning it. Also the windows will only sit about 2 inches onto the rough opening as they are still replacement windows, just with an added nail flange basically. Will the window sit on this beveled siding then? I will have to make jamb extensions to meet the inerior wall (probably just going to drywall the interior casing.

Forsee any problems with this method?

#15 ·
Looks like the windows were fastened to the framing through the brick molding. Cutting the nails on the side jambs should free up the window for removal.
Ron

#19 ·
You don't seem to have the usual window setup. Most situations have the siding on top of the window sides(or at least the nailing flanges). The drip cap is hard to see. Does in go behind the siding?
I don't see how you could apply the flex membrane around the window as it sits on the siding. The material I apply is 6" wide, but it goes under the siding, not on top. With the prevoius window install, you were relying on the caulking on the trim to keep water out. From the looks of the window, it seemed to do the job. Hope you're as lucky with the rest of the windows.
If it were my house, I would remove the siding and do a traditional window install.
Ron

#18 ·
I got one in. Aside from the trimming and cleanup the window went in in about an hour (one man job). and the reason i only did one window is because i wanted to see exactly how i am going to do the jamb extenision/shadow boxes on the interior.
The window turned out great (in my opinion) I will have progress picture and final pictures posted up tonight!

-greg

#20 ·
Tell me about it! i was anticipating either a nail flange or at least some type of flashing but no! You are correct, much like an exterior brick molded door are how the windows were cunstruction and set on top of the siding.

I did go ahead and cut the siding, flashed properly and installed 4" cedar trim to cover the expose flashing tape. I'm not saying the install is perfect but i think for what i was work with it was good. I'm definately sure that the new windows are more water proof than the old ones and they lasted a good 30 years. Oh and the rest of the windows in the house are exactly the same setup and size (which was nice when ordering them)

I'll have picture of the progress and finished progress up tonight. Feel free to nit pick my work once they are posted! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.