Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |

Last minute dropped ceiling questions - yes more questions :o)

Ok guys, getting close now. Tomorrow morning I plan to do the dropped ceiling on the first room, the office. First, I have one remaining question, I can think of at the moment. I've read, what I believe to be conflicting information on the internet on how to deal with corners. I get the outside corners where i cut the angles at 45 degrees to bend around the corner. But I am a little confused about the inside corners.

There seems to be two opinions on the matter.
Method 1 says to "Overlap the wall angle on inside corners" I've attached a picture for method 1 as well. Just looks like they rest one wall angle on top of the other in the corners.

Method 2 says "When you come to an inside corner, install the first length of molding tight against the corner and butt the second length against the first." I've attached a picture for method 2 also.

Does anyone have any strong opinions over which method might be better? Or doesn't it really matter that much? Seems like Method 2 make the most sense to me, that way that wall angle isn't 1/8 of an inch above the rest. Let me know what you guys think about that.

And lastly, I have also attached a picture of my basement plans for the office ceiling. I have also drew in where I planned to place the lights and the one heating vent on the ceiling. The gray boxes are vents on the ceiling, so placing a light in those specific locations is not possible. Can you guys check out my plans to see if they make sense to you? And if there's anything I can improve? The lights are 6" recessed lighting cans. That's the best way I could think to spread apart the lighting.

Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Last minute dropped ceiling questions - yes more questions  :o)-basement-office.jpg  
Attached Images

markronz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #2

Mark,
Your layout looks fine. On the inside corners, you're splitting hairs. I normally overlap the two pieces. The job I just completed, I used a small piece of wooden crown instead of the steel wall angle. Looks a lot nicer. They also make outside corners that snap over the two cut pieces if like.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Are any of the walls exterior with windows or doors? Heat supplies generally are placed near exterior walls and close to the door. Reasoning I guess is it will be colder/hotter on an exterior wall due to outside temps. Just something to consider, not an absolute. Lighting plan looks good. I overlap inside corners.....
Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Remodeler

Mark, it all looks good. It isnt that easy to miter these corners. The channel isn't 1/8" so just lay them on top of the other (overlap) the difference is not notable except to you :-)
Go for it. The lighting looks good. Can lights will give some down light but not allot of overall. Plan on some other lighting. Florescent while some people don't like them do give more light overall.
If you have done this already today I am sure it came out nice. If not have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #5

Where is the entrance into the room? I usually like to center a light on the entrance when possible. I always ask for the miter corner, no reason why the overlap wouldn't work but the miter looks more "clean" to me.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote