Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Large Notches in Floor Joists

I recently uncovered a few floor joists that have been severally notched around some piping. I'm looking for suggestions as to the most appropriate way to reinforce them. The floor above is attic space, but I'd prefer to make it structurally sound before I close it all back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Large Notches in Floor Joists-p9170251.jpg  

R.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Going to have to cut the joist and add a double up header on both ends to support the joist.

This would also be the perfect time to take the time to cut and remove all that old steel piping.
At some point it is going to leak and plug up and that whole area would have to be opened up again to fix it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. View Post
I recently uncovered a few floor joists that have been severally notched around some piping. I'm looking for suggestions as to the most appropriate way to reinforce them. The floor above is attic space, but I'd prefer to make it structurally sound before I close it all back in.
Do not cut anymore of the floor joist! The general repair for this is to measure the current cutout ( example: it's 4 feet wide), the repair would be the same size floor joist nailed, glued, and bolted exactly 12 foot long being the left and right having the same cut out distance. 4 foot left, 4 foot center, and 4 foot right = 12 ft total length of repair. If you don't have room to scab the repair, the only choice you have is a full removal of the truss and a new one installed
Good luck!!
homeprova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

And what good would sistering do when it alos would have to be cut to fit the pipes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
12penny (09-24-2012), oh'mike (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
DIY staff

Could you remove the cast iron vents and replace them with PVC ? If that's an attic you could raise them above the joist and sister in a full replacement.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
DIY staff

Another thought----Sister in a full joist on the first available space (to the right of the pipes in the photo)

Then add two saddle beams from the doubled joist --back to the wall and hang the cut joists off the saddle beams.

A similar suggestion would be to frame that like a stairway opening---

Move the pipes---much easier----