Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

laminating problems

Just finished laminating the kitchen counter. Looks beautiful!!!! However had problems with our hand held Porter cable cutting into the edges (sides not the top) only in certain places. Had to replace pieces. What was I doing wrong. thank you

Last edited by Handymrs.; 09-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Handymrs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,638

laminating problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymrs. View Post
Just finished laminating the kitchen counter. Looks beautiful!!!! However had problems with our hand held Porter cable cutting into the edges (sides not the top) only in certain places. Had to replace pieces. What was I doing wrong. thank you
Four things come to mine for me, one the trimmer was held at an angle toward the top edge, maybe the shoe is sitting at an angle. 2. The bearing on the cutter is worn badly 3. it is the wrong size bearing on the cutter and 4 maybe the trimmer was adjusted wrong.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Handymrs. (09-15-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

laminating problems

There are special router blades for finishing plastic laminates the most popular are a flush cut blade and a beveled blade. Some feel the beveled blade helps to keep the laminate from chipping along the edge which in your case is what you did I believe. You many want to use a carbide router bit to correct this problem. Also a bit with a bearing makes the job even easier and if you were using a bit that requires a guide, set the guide carefully, the bit should cut the edge of the laminate but not the adjoining surface. It is always better to take off a little and make a second pass than to take off too much the first time. All so when you set the router on the laminate counter use a firm steady downward pressure to hold the router in place do not rush the router, move slowly along the edge of the laminate because quick movements can cause the router to jump or kick, which can ruin the laminate.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
Handymrs. (09-15-2010)