Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Remodeling

Hello All

We are in the process of finding a granite countertop for our kitchen. And while we are doing the countertops. We thought it might be a good idea to change the sink.

So, Granite sink vs. stainless steel

What are the pros and cons. Are there any reasonably priced Granite sink manufacturers? So far i have only found Blanco and its expensive. (C$690). What have others done? Any experiences to share (not about the install).

btw, i already bought a kick butt faucet (IMHO).

Thank you in advance

Amit

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #2

Kitchen Remodeling

We have a granite sink in our kitchen. The wife wanted it because it's black like the countertop and she hates metal sinks. The brand name is Pegasus. I don't recall the exact price, but it was less than $300. It's not entirely granite, but rather some sort of composite material containing granite chips. We found it at Home Depot. You can see what one looks like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pegasus-D...20MB/100659850

Last edited by md2lgyk; 05-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Kitchen Remodeling

I was going to go with Blanco's silgranite, but all their double 1 3/4 sinks, the smaller sink is on the right. Our current SS sink is on the left and it logically needs to stay that side because of our already laid our cabinetry. I just emailed Blanco asking if they make any of their sinks reversed because I see a lot of people asking the same question as me. There very short answer was "Unfortunately, we have no way to custom design sinks"
http://www.blancoamerica.com/c3/blan...lnummer=441292

We can't have ours on the right because we have drawers on that side. The left is where our dish washer is, so it would fit and not interfere. I have never seen a sink company ONLY make the small side of the sink on a set right side.
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
K&B Designer

Kitchen Remodeling

Blanco Silgranite Performa 4413. It's reversible to put the small bowl on the left or right. Most people are switching to the large single bowl though and loving it. People put most of their dishes in the DW, so don't really need a double bowl sink anymore.

A left or right small bowl sink will take up the exact same space in a sink cabinet regardless of what's outside the sink cabinet, so I'm really not sure what you mean by "can't" have it on the other side because of drawers or the DW. The sink configuration has nothing to do with that.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Kitchen Remodeling

they told me it could not be reversed.
This is the one I was looking at. If the drainboard was on the left, it would fit and not interfere with the dishwasher on the left and give us a place to have a cutting board which you can also buy as an option and just push it off into the smaller sink where our garbage disposal would be. On the right side of our sink is where there are drawers and no leeway because the drawers would be opening and closing multiple times a day. On the left, it could be as close as it needed to be over the dishwasher. We use the double sink a lot. Whenever I am cleaning the kitchen floor and have the larger sink filled with water, there is always a reason one of us needs to use the sink quickly and just shifts the spigot over to the left smaller sink either for water, or to use the garbage disposal.
There are also times I am hand washing some things when a larger party for dinner, the large sink becomes filled with dishes instead of people putting them into the dishwasher, I end up doing it. So I use the smaller sink to rinse off major food before I place them all into the dishwasher. No, I'm hot the type that washes all my dishes before they go into my dishwasher lol, just the larger food items on a plate get pushed into the disposal

Last edited by DIY-Her; 09-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

Kitchen Remodeling

interesting though, how you not working for Blanco, showed me another option that can be switched, even though it wasn't the same exact style, yet all Blanco said was sorry, can't be done and left it at that.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #7

Kitchen Remodeling

hmm, check this
http://www.faucetdirect.com/blanco-4...FYSf4AodJz0AsQ

the Q&A section

Can you get the small disposal side on the left instead of right?

The Blanco 4413 is only available in the configuration shown.

Obviously there are more than the websites I found that people are asking the same question
Old 09-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

Kitchen Remodeling

by chance do you know what this style sink option is used for?
I can't figure out why you would want a ledge in a sink?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
K&B Designer

Kitchen Remodeling

You can even reverse the drainboard sink that you're interested in if you are OK with the drains being forward in the sink base rather than to the rear. They design the drain openings to the rear to maximize the room in the cabinet by keeping the plumbing to the rear. With a true undermount sink, there is no deck with faucet holes, so the orientation of the sink is pretty much irrelevant. The faucets go straight through a hole in the counter wherever you want them to be. You will just need to strongly emphasize to your counter fabricator (I use bright pink Post-Its) which way is going to be the front, and which the back. You may need to adjust some of your plumbing, but that's often needed anyway when going from an old topmount sink to a deeper undermount sink. Very often, the wall has to be opened and the waste arm lowered to accommodate the new depth. Then, it's in for a penny, in for a pound, and a simple matter to hook up to wherever the drain might be located on the new sink.

The purpose of the last sink you show is so that you can place large trays, oven racks, cookie sheets, etc. into the sink and wash them, but still have the low divider to divide the sink into two bowls if you need to for hand washing. Which is the same thing that you can do with a large single and placing a dishpan into it when it's (rarely) needed. Which is why I stated that the large single is the most popular choice.

It sounds like your kitchen actually needs a second source of water in it it. A prep sink or beverage sink can greatly increase the utility in a kitchen with multiple cooks! If you have a crawl space below, I'd try to figure out if you could at least add a small secondary sink somewhere. Especially since it sounds as though new counters are in your future. Don't set your layout in stone until you've tweaked it to be the most functional you can!
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #10

Kitchen Remodeling

Amit, curious as to what faucet you bought I'll be looking for one too eventually.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

Kitchen Remodeling

Live Oak, thanks for the ideas, I think for close to a year if not more with all kinds of different options before we make the final decision :D We have a basement that the ceiling isn't finished yet, so if need be, we could always do a beverage sink if needed, just would have to figure out which counter could fit it without taking up under cabinet space.

As for the pros, I've just heard they were very easy to keep clean and didn't chip and scratch easily. We are already on our 3rd SS sink since we bought this then brand new house in 1995. I'll probably move our SS to the laundry room once we get a newer sink