Kitchen Remodel Qs - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 81

Kitchen Remodel Qs

COUPLE Qs on Kitchen Remodel:
(1)We are contemplating either new or refaced cabinets in the kitchen. The house is only about 15 years old or so but we want to update the kitchen with nicer countertops (old laminate is currently in place). If we do that, we are also considering changing the cabinets. They are in good shape except for some hinges and one section next to the built in fridge. The main issue is the color....they are that old "pinkish" birch (?) wood and finish.

So, what options do I have and how do they compare on cost? Is painting out of the question? What about strip and re-stain?

(2) Granite vs Soapstone vs Other countertops. What are the pro and cons of each? So many options out there, it gets confusing.

(3) Our built in Fridge has an end section of cabinetry that has some water damage at the floor (only maybe 1/4-1/2 inch or so). In light of Q1, should that get replaced or can I rework if I am paint/staining?

Sorry for the randomness of the questions, any comments will be helpful to get me started!!!

Advertisement

JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen Remodel Qs

1) painting is about 1/3 the cost of new, refacing will include new doors, drawer and slides and hardware and is 1/2 the new cabinets. If cabinet boxes are okay both are a good choice. If you want a new door style then refacing is a good way to go. Only time you need new cabinets is if the layout needs to change. Both are not really good DIY jobs, since they do need special tools and knowledge to do a quality job.
2) countertop choice depends on too many things for anyone to remotely help. $$$ being number one.
3) Any option on addressing the cabinets will include fixing this minor repair.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Kitchen Remodel Qs

My wife and I grappled with the repaint / reface / replace question for a long time - after a LOT of deliberation and shopping, we installed all new cabinets and granite countertops. The kitchen layout was fine as it was, so no changes were made so as to keep the costs down. Either way you are spending a chunk of money - we felt replacing was a better investment and we get to enjoy an all new kitchen.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen Remodel Qs

What you would do with the cabinets depends on what they look like. Try posting a picture. Some wood cabinets will look great refinished. Some aren't worth the time or effort.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote