DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   kitchen remodel help needed (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/kitchen-remodel-help-needed-165151/)

fix what? 11-30-2012 08:38 AM

kitchen remodel help needed
 
i,m doing a kitchen remodel and need to paint the walls and trim
replace the upper wall moldings and texture the ceiling
my question is what to do first? i was thinking in this order
cut new moldings to size
paint moldings before they go on walls
when dry, mask front and bottom moldings with blue tape and install them
texture ceiling, paint walls and remove tape when dry
is this a good way to do it ? any better ideas?, thanks

joecaption 11-30-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fix what? (Post 1063539)
i,m doing a kitchen remodel and need to paint the walls and trim
replace the upper wall moldings and texture the ceiling
my question is what to do first? i was thinking in this order
cut new moldings to size
paint moldings before they go on walls
when dry, mask front and bottom moldings with blue tape and install them
texture ceiling, paint walls and remove tape when dry
is this a good way to do it ? any better ideas?, thanks

I would just prime and paint all the trim one coat before it was cut. That way your not trying to paint small pieces.
Prime and paint all the walls.
Once the trims up you'll only need to do some minor painting.
Do not use painters tape! Learn how to paint with a 2-1/2" sash brush.

Very bad idea to texture any ceiling but a really big mistake in a kitchen.
Impossable to clean, hard to paint, very hard to get a matching repair if there's ever any damage.

md2lgyk 11-30-2012 10:39 AM

Yeah, textured ceilings are so 1970s. Especially the old "popcorn" style. And as Joe said, very bad idea in a kitchen.

fix what? 11-30-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1063583)
I would just prime and paint all the trim one coat before it was cut. That way your not trying to paint small pieces.
Prime and paint all the walls.
Once the trims up you'll only need to do some minor painting.
Do not use painters tape! Learn how to paint with a 2-1/2" sash brush.

Very bad idea to texture any ceiling but a really big mistake in a kitchen.
Impossable to clean, hard to paint, very hard to get a matching repair if there's ever any damage.

okay i wont texture the ceiling but then i have patching and repair work to the ceiling due to a bad job done by the previous owner

iGeek 11-30-2012 05:06 PM

I use knockdown on ceilings if texture is asked for. I use to pre paint base and trim and found a waste of time. Texture then install trim caulk and paint that is the way I would do it. Doesn't work for everyone but is most efficient for me.

EnriqueIL 12-05-2012 03:52 AM

I was also confused with this kind of issue near about 3 months ago then some of my good friends suggest me to take the services of San Diego General Contractor which is well known for home remodeling and other services like kitchen remodel and so on. I hope till now you got a suitable suggestion if not then you may also go for the same.

stoner529 12-11-2012 03:42 AM

First things first... texture is not outdated. It just depends on what type of texture is applied. To me, nothing is more boring than a slick wall. it gives the home zero character.

1. Always texture ceilings first. It will be the messiest of all the jobs. Next, install the molding and caulk it. If it is crown, caulk at the new textured ceiling. If it is chair rail, just caulk the top (and bottom if desired). Next paint the ceiling, then walls. This eliminates any roller over-spray. If you intend to replace the flooring, by some chance. i say rip it out first, then do the texture. I personally love texture on ceilings.

hand drive 12-11-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoner529 (Post 1070781)
First things first... texture is not outdated. It just depends on what type of texture is applied. To me, nothing is more boring than a slick wall. it gives the home zero character.

1. Always texture ceilings first. It will be the messiest of all the jobs. Next, install the molding and caulk it. If it is crown, caulk at the new textured ceiling. If it is chair rail, just caulk the top (and bottom if desired). Next paint the ceiling, then walls. This eliminates any roller over-spray. If you intend to replace the flooring, by some chance. i say rip it out first, then do the texture. I personally love texture on ceilings.

depending on the type of texture(thickness) it could interfere with the crown going up later after said texture is applied. before texture the ceiling is flat and flat is good for crown molding, otherwise the crown will not be flat to the ceiling. We've had to scrape the texture off of the ceiling around the edges to accommodate new crown going up so that the crown sits tight to the ceiling without the bumpty bump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved