Kitchen Remodel - Gap Around CookTop - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen Remodel - Gap around CookTop

Posted this in the Appliance Section - did not get any response - Since this is a Remodel thought that I would try here -

Just installed a GE Profile Stainless Steel Gas Cooktop in a granite countertop. After installation I have a 1/8" +/- gap between the cooktop and the countertop. There are rubber "feet" on the rim of the cooktop that sit on the countertop. This creates the gap. There is no information in the install instructions regarding closing this gap (unless you have the ceramic version, which I do not). Would it be safe to use silicone sealer (caulk) like GE kitchen and bath to close this gap to keep food crumbs, and the like from getting through.


Mickey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336

Are these feet meant to stay in position once the cooktop is installed or were they packing that should be removed? Cooktops usually have brackets that get mounted under the counter to hold the cooktop tight to the surface. If you don't have the installation instructions, you can read and download them from the internet.
There's a good chance the install was not done correctly.


Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25

There is nothing in the install instructions that address the little rubber "feet." I have read them many times. It talks about a foam tape IF you are installing the ceramic cooktop, but nothing about a non-ceramic cooktop. I speculate that the rubber "feet" are there to provide an air gap so the heat of the cooktop does not transfer as quickly to the counter surface. Yes, there are two thin brackets that are held to each end of the ccoktop with a screw and to the underside of the cabinet with a screw.Think I will go ahead with the silicone - Thanks
Mickey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
angus242's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Rewards Points: 500

I wouldn't use silicone. If anything, you better read the label to see its heat resistance. That cooktop can get pretty hot. A better option would be a butyl tape. That's what comes in the installation kits of many cooktops. It can be formed into whatever shape you want, trimmed to fit and (most importantly) it's heat resistant. I would think it's readily available at a home center or larger appliance store.
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Speedball's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 113
Rewards Points: 75

I wouldnt see silicone as not being resistant to heat but more like ever being very difficult if not impossible to remove the top if ever needed. All the cook tops I've seen are pretty tight to the surface.
Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this kitchen remodel code compliant? jheavner Electrical 18 10-07-2008 10:01 AM
New here - and in the middle of a kitchen remodel fargo2939 Introductions 2 07-05-2008 08:16 PM
Conquering a Kitchen Remodel skip97 Remodeling 2 02-27-2008 07:54 PM
Kitchen Remodel - 101 allen1466 Remodeling 5 06-22-2007 08:56 AM
Kitchen remodel frank551 Electrical 2 11-15-2005 07:13 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1