Kitchen Remodel - 101 - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Remodel - 101

Hello Everyone,

It's time for me to remodel my kitchen. I'm replacing the flooring, cabinets, countertops and appliances. I don't have a dishwasher at this time. The question I have is: Where do I start first?

I have watched/learned that the cabinets go in first, then the flooring and the appliances are last.

I'm replacing the old vinyl floor with laminate flooring. Is there anything wrong with putting the laminate floor under the new cabinets? Or is it just to keep the price down that you put the cabinets down then the flooring?

Also, I have read in this forum, that you don't put the laminate flooring under the dish washer. So if that is the case, then you wouldn't put the flooring down until the cabinets are in.

In short, just looking for guidelines in which order everything goes in so I can somewhat have a starting and finishing point.

Thanks, Allen

Advertisement

allen1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Kitchen Remodel - 101

I just did our kitchen. After gutting it I started from the top down, painting the ceiling and walls. Then I installed the cabinets and countertops, and finally tiled the floor. You definitely want your laminate under the fridge and stove, but because I was using tile, I did not put it under the cab's or dishwasher. You could probably take the same approach with a laminate floor. It's also nice to do the floor last so you don't scratch it moving the cab's around.

Advertisement

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 562

Kitchen Remodel - 101

Ah, the old to go "under the cabinet or not" with the flooring argument.

Some do, some don't.

ALL new construction, and full remodels, that I have seen (on a nearly daily basis) in this area (NC) the flooring goes under the cabinets.

That said, with a laminate floor that "floats" you would not want to go under the cabinets. But if you are using a nail/glue down laminate, then by all means you should go under the cabinets.

Why?

1. It's easier.

2. Appliances will be on the correct level. No need for a filler to raise the D/W to the proper height.

3. A leaking D/W could go unnoticed for a long time, doing much damage over that lengthy period, as the water runs under the flooring.

My personal opinion of course....
ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Tile and Paint contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Remodel - 101

Which builder are you working with in NC?

In Charlotte, NC, Bonterra, Cox and Schepp, and KB builders all install cabinetry and then thier floor covering. And they even install the baseboard and shim it before installing tile/carpet.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 562

Kitchen Remodel - 101

All the builders I work with are custom builders, not tract builders.

So maybe that's the difference?

I'd say that if you check out most any high end custom home, you'll find that the flooring goes under the cabinets...AND is laid prior to the trim being installed. Think about trying to install hardwood flooring with the cabinets in the way. That would really be a PIA. And the chance of damaging the cabinets would be extreme...

I have seen a few, and I do mean VERY few builders that will install 3/4 ply under the cabinets so they can save that small amount of hardwood.

Tile floor? That's a different animal. I've seen it done both ways.

Last edited by ktkelly; 06-15-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add
ktkelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Kitchen Remodel - 101

Please check out our website... KPInternationalCabinetry.com

Advertisement

kellibley@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote