Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen refacing

I want recessed lighting in the kitchen, possibly some upgrades here and there. It needs some updating. Cabinets are new and most everything is staying, but needs pazzaz! Any ides would be great...any.picture ideas would be better.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen refacing-1306854438285.jpg  

Daddyshammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Kitchen refacing

I think what may make the most impact is a killer backsplash. Tile, faux tin ceiling tiles, copper, there are tons of options out there.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Kitchen refacing

I would like to do a backsplash nut Im not sure what would go with the natural wood look. I don't want it to look all shiny though, and I have never tiled before, but I want to start with the right lighting 1st. Lighting is an issue for me because I don't know the space above the ceiling due to the second floor. Im not sure how to go about seeing the distance above the drywall without making a hole. The ceiling has a circular design I dont wanna mess up.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Kitchen refacing

Heres a better pic before we first moved in.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen refacing-1306859380674.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Kitchen refacing

I think toward the end of this year we are going to completly overhall this area. Possibly keep the cabinetry unless we go with dark cabinets and light hardwoord floors with stainless steel appliances, recessed lights and some addittional cabinets with see through glass for wine glasses. May look sweet.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

Kitchen refacing

Don't forget the value in cabinet hardware--it's relatively inexpensive and can do wonders. Maybe a brushed nickel or other metal that goes with a metal or tile backsplash?
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Kitchen refacing

My two cents. I had cabinets like that and I painted them. It really lightened up the space.

Also, you can remove some of the cabinets facing and put in glass fronts. I recommend only a couple because they're the ones you need to keep neat!

Also, under cabinet lighting always helps as do canned lights

Is there a connected eating area? I'd probably only do canned lights. And maybe a dropped light if there's a connected eating area.

On the backsplash, depends what you do with the cabinets. Tile's always nice, but if you're going to be redoing the area, you might not want to spend time/money.
gtono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
General Contractor

Kitchen refacing

I could see some recessed can lighting helping that pizazz, same with removing the hanging light fixture above your sink. Add in an extra recessed task light above the sink.

If you were to overhaul with new cabinets down the road (don't paint those) run taller upper cabinets to your ceiling.
dsconstructs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Kitchen refacing

I did recessed lights in my kitchen I just remodeled and it adds a good bit to it. I'm not sure how you would wire it as I have on a 1 story house.
If I was going to redo everything by years end I wouldn't do too much now unless its stuff you want to keep.
here is some shots for ideas.
Kitchen remodel

JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

Kitchen refacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninSC
I did recessed lights in my kitchen I just remodeled and it adds a good bit to it. I'm not sure how you would wire it as I have on a 1 story house.
If I was going to redo everything by years end I wouldn't do too much now unless its stuff you want to keep.
here is some shots for ideas.
Kitchen remodel
JohninSC, I love the way it all turned out. It looks great! I really dont wanna paint the cabinets because they are brand new(2 yrs old) and in good condition. I didnt think about taller upper cabinets though. Its a great idea. What kind of canned lights did you use, how many and what size do I use for a kitchen. Mine is long and not a small space. Im thinking 6 canned ligjts in the kitchen. I can run the wires myself, but not sure what kind to use for soft lighting, yet enough to see.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Kitchen refacing

Any ideas/ drawings, to make my kitchen look a bit more updated? I know I want recessed lighting, and possibly keep the cabinets and put glass in 1 or 2 of them, with stainless steel appliances. Not sure what to do though. I think paint may be the best option for a backslpash for this kitchen. Something soft to make everything else stand out. Like Tea leaf or something.

J-Daddyshammer
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #12

Kitchen refacing

im in the process of redoing our kitchen at the moment. my wife found a mosaic that she liked and couldnt find anything she liked better so we ended up going with the stainless mosaic.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #13

Kitchen refacing

oops forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen refacing-p1060078a.jpg  

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote