Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen in Progress

This past week I started the kitchen remodel. For now we are just doing backsplash and countertops. The final will have granite tile countertops (venetian gold with a bull nose edge) and tumbled travertine backsplash. Here are some pics so far...

The before pics:

After all the tile was taken down:

Next, after the drywall was ripped out:

Also decided this would be the perfect time to install some undercabinet xenon puck lights...controlled by a wall switch:

For right now this is what it looks like with cement board:

Obviously, I still have alot of work to do...rip up the countertops, underlay with 3/4" ply then a layer of cement backer. Also need to mud a couple of the joints on the backsplash. Updates are soon to follow!!

baksdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

Kitchen in Progress

Here is the design I have decided to do for the backsplash. Picked up the tile yesterday. 3x6 tumbled travertine with an insert of 2x12 basketweave travertine outlined with .5x12 pencil edgeing.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Kitchen in Progress

That should look nice.
Some advice; seal the travertine BEFORE you install it. This will help when you grout. Since the tile is so porous, sealing beforehand will help you keep grout from sticking in the pores.
The tile is kinda similar to a backsplash I did:
http://www.diychatroom.com/picture.p...=2&pictureid=4
And if you haven't purchased grout yet, I'd suggest Laticrete SpectraLOCK Grout. It's available at Lowes. It's an epoxy-based stain-resistant gout. I like to use it because of the typical stains you can get from splashing around the sink or cooktop. No sealing needed!

Good luck and keep posting pics!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #4

Kitchen in Progress

Just and update...I have removed the old laminate and MDF underlay. I have also laid all my 3/4" plywood as a base and am in the process of putting cement board over the top. I would be further along but Home Depot decides to "misplace" our special ordered sink. For some reason a shower pan came in place of the sink. Here is the kicker...shipping/receiving signed it in knowing it was supposed to be a sink (we talked to the guy). Then the same guy proceeds to bring the shower pan out to us later that day when I go to pick it up. His response when I have a dumbfounded look on my face explaining that is not what I ordered? "Oh...I thought this was kinda an odd shape for a sink." HELLO!! So anyway, that will hopefully come in by the end of the week. Between that and being really busy, I didnt think it would take this long. More pics to come soon. Looking forward to getting to the fun part...laying the granite FINALLY!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #5

Kitchen in Progress

I liked those puck lights, how hard where they to wire up and whats the life span for them?
marc412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #6

Kitchen in Progress

It will look beautiful. Post more pictures when you're done.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #7

Kitchen in Progress

i have started gutting my kitchen and now have big mess. dont know what to do next...

nursery nurse is offline   Reply With Quote