Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen pass through

I want to cut an opening in a wall between my kitchen and family room. The wall is an old gable end exterior wall (pre-addition). It doesn't support the floor joists above, but does support the wall above it on the second floor. Is attaching a 2x8 whaler above where I want to cut the opening (across the studs) and supporting it on each end with a 2x4 the right way to go in terms of temporary support while I put in a new header and jack studs? The span for the opening would be about 4 feet.

Thanks.

ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #2

Kitchen pass through

You would build a temporary wall spanning 6-8 feet a few feet away from where the opening is being cut.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Kitchen pass through

I would not be to concerned with a temp. wall for a gable end, as long as the floor joists don't rest on the plates above. gable walls don't have much if any load carrying heights imposed on them.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #4

Kitchen pass through

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I would not be to concerned with a temp. wall for a gable end, as long as the floor joists don't rest on the plates above. gable walls don't have much if any load carrying heights imposed on them.
That's what it looks like to me - the wall is parallel to the floor joists. There is also an old window or door frame in the wall and it doesn't have too much of a header - just a 2x4 on flat.

I think I'll still attach some sort of temporary ledger above my opening with a 2x4 on each end, but I just wanted to make sure I had the right idea about how much weigh gable walls bear.
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #5

Kitchen pass through

Quote:
The original house might not have much weight on the gable end, but what about the addition structure on the other side? Since the op hasn't mentioned how it was framed, the temporary wall (or two walls) will address either construction. If the addition has a shed roof coming off the back, the weight of that will be on the gable end and you would put up one wall on either side of the opening.
Ron
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Kitchen pass through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The original house might not have much weight on the gable end, but what about the addition structure on the other side? Since the op hasn't mentioned how it was framed, the temporary wall (or two walls) will address either construction. If the addition has a shed roof coming off the back, the weight of that will be on the gable end and you would put up one wall on either side of the opening.
Ron
your correct about the addition adding some weight to the wall. but he is only talking about opening up an area of 4', that 2 studs being removed , not like 5-10. I still don't see it being a problem.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

Kitchen pass through

Quote:
your correct about the addition adding some weight to the wall. but he is only talking about opening up an area of 4', that 2 studs being removed , not like 5-10. I still don't see it being a problem.
Bob, you're probably right.
Ron