Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Layout Feedback

We're in the process of planning our kitchen remodel and would like feedback on the layout that we're considering. Please provide feedback or suggestions for improvement. It's been suggested so far that I pull the fridge a little further from the wall, and also that I should omit the tall panty by the doorway and place additional counter space with another angled base cabinet adjacent to the doorway opposite the one shown on the plan. I would also get rid of the angled uppers and replace them with regular uppers for more storage space. My wife really wants a pantry cabinet, so I'm looking for your thoughts.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...psaed52555.jpg

Last edited by Old College Try; 06-24-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Removed Image and added link
Old College Try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Cannot make out your plan accurately enough to comment. The attachment just blurred when enlarged.

You might think about plunking it in something like Sweet Home 3D, free floorplan software with lots of templates for counters, appliances, etc. Some like Google SketchUp too.

On reaction I had is that, if this was to scale (could not read your dimensions) you seem to have an awful lot of floor space in the center. Would an island work?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
JOATMON

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Same problem here.....some pics would be great as well.....

Like sd said...that space is begging for an island.....I'm thinking a wall needs to come down as well.

Shoot us some pics....read the section on how to post pics...and let us help you spend your money.....we love doing that.

Oh....and get your spouse prepared for the mess and dirt.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Drawing is to scale. Only 4.5 feet between counters, so island is a no go. I didn't bother doing much more than a hand sketch since all of the places that sell cabinets will use their kitchen design programs to draw it up. Hopefully the link I posted above will work better for viewing the layout. Another thing I'm trying to figure out is if I should stick with a 33" refrigerator since that's what I currently have. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Old College Try; 06-24-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old College Try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
JOATMON

Kitchen Layout Feedback

The link is better....a few comments....

Center the sink on the window....if you don't, it will most likely bug you for the rest of your life.

Slide the DW over to the other side.

We need to see a scetch/pics of what is on the other side of the walls and doors. With all those doors, I'm seeing major potential to moving a wall over. Your loosing way too much wall space to just doors....I think you can get more open space and more wall space by combining a couple of things.

At a min...loose the door on the right (same side as fridge) and move that wall over and shorten it...you then gain all that wall space by the window that is lost right now because it needs to be open for the walk way. If you do that...then the fridge could move over there...giving your sink area a much more open setup.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Photobucket link works-
I agree with the suggestions mentioned in your first post- and I'll add my 2 cents
Kitchen sink should be centered under the window
If the wife wants the full height pantry- perhaps put it at the opposite wall- where it is creates a tunnel affect entering the kitchen
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Kitchen Layout Feedback

Is electrical and plumbing in place for appliances now or is there an issue moving it?

Something to throw at you that my clients have liked. Think about distributing the refrigeration and dishwashing with smaller drawer units and a unit for beverages only. It is kind of ridiculous to open the door on a giant monster to grab a soda? And why not put meat and veges in a drawer by the sink?

Same with dishwashing. You wash dishes and glassware most so why not a unit just for them that does not have to use as much water and run as long as the one for pots and pans?

Such things used to be rather highend but the concept has made its way down to more consumer line products and they even show up at places like Overstock.

I will look over your plan later. The old rule for kitchens was to put the stovetop/oven, prep sink and frig in a triangle as close to equilateral as possible. By distributing refrigeration you eliminate some of that need. And it looks nicer than the giant piece of antiquated technology based on days when blocks of ice got delivered and stuffed in one?

Do you use both doors, by the way? I agree you might be able to pick up some pantry space closing one off. I too would like to see what is going on on the other side.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

Kitchen Layout Feedback

I'd use a 45 degree lazy susan corner base rather than a 90. You get more counter space and a single door rather than a bi-fold.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote