Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen countertop overhang or not?

Hi all,

Im in the midst of a kitchen renovation and I have installed two new cabinets 30" and 18" along an unused wall that meets a half wall with a heat register running below it. ( I allowed the proper spacing between the cabinets and the heat register so that I have a bit of room to move the cabinets over if I need to.)

My question is in regards to how the countertop should rest over the cabinet. At the current time I have the cabinet against the vertical molding for the door jamb and have fit the countertop over it. However, since the front of the cabinet sticks out to support the door and countertop, I have a portion sticking out. While this kind of annoys me and I want to push the cabinet over so the front edge and countertop are flush, I don't know if I want to have an approximate 3/4" gap at the rear of my cabinet where the wall is visible. I figure it's fine for the quarter round to fit in that space, but I'm left confused as to which appears more professional and which is the correct way to install. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Carraway
Attached Images

Carraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Kitchen countertop overhang or not?

I think you have two choices. You can move the cabinet over, or notch the casing or counter where they collide. The quarter round is unnecessary in either case. Just show the small strip of wall.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote