Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Kitchen ceiling caving in...what should I do?

Ok, so my kitchen ceiling has a skylight that had leaked. The previous owners fixed the leak and I guess maybe patched the ceiling. When we moved in it was lumpy but that was it. Now the ceiling literally is falling off. I think its plaster, but it is thin and separated from the gray rough stuff that makes up the solid part of the ceiling. (I don't know much clearly) There are also a ton of cracks running through my ceilings (not just this one) So anyway...I figure scraping it off and replastering it myself would be tedious and ugly. Sooo...I'm thinking either beadboard or wood flooring. would it be bad to do with the plaster already falling off? Can I just put it over it? And is it feasible to do wood flooring on a ceiling? Thanks...so clueless. I'm going to try to attach pics
didn't work...here's a link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74176679@N03/6810772107/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74176679@N03/6810773439/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74176679@N03/6810774599/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74176679@N03/6810775501/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74176679@N03/6810777045/

Last edited by kvmommy; 02-03-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: trying to add pics
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
DIY staff

That looks like an amateur drywall installation--

Best to remove that drywall--it is not attached or taped properly--

Inspect the skylight framing---see if they added ventilation holes to the rafters under the window--

insulate properly---hang and tape new drywall

Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmommy View Post
When we moved in it was lumpy but that was it. Now the ceiling literally is falling off.
I'm no expert. I spend a lot of my time reading and learning here, so I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you.
My questions is: Why is it getting worse? I would not even consider repairing the ceiling until I was 100% sure it was no longer leaking.
Any indication of water or dampness up there?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #4

There isn't any indication that there is any more water damage or anything. I think they repaired it themselves and just did a bad job which is why its falling in. But we checked thoroughly and found no damage.

To the first poster...I have no idea what you're talking about with the ventilation holes. But under the cracking plaster it doesn't look like drywall. It looks a gray rough concreteish type material so I have no clue how to go about it.
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Your Facilities Guy!

I would be very concerned with the framing. It looks as if the structure is sagging. I am not sure how big the skylight is but it looks as if may span 2 or 3 rafters. That skylight should have had at least a doubled up rafter on each end to carry the roof load and a good strong box frame around it. Get a good framing carpenter or an architect to verify this. You don't want to screw around with roof framing
Donnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
DIY staff

Sorry to have confused you with the vent holes---I looked at your pictures and see that you have a flat ceiling---so my vent holes was wrong----

The drywall looks like it was attached and cut poorly --taped wrong and generally a mess---

I suggest that you remove a good sized area around the opening and hang new rock--avoiding any seams around that sky light---

Is that an attic above the ceiling? Can you see the box around the shy light from the attic?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

Just start scraping. Whatever you do, your not going to want to just cover it. The loose material definately has to go. Scrape off everything that comes off easily, including drywall tape you get your putty knnife under and then take more pics. Once we find out the framing is sound and get a better look, you might be able to just add some more drywall screws and re-tape it. You wouldnt want to use floor covering on your ceiling mainly because of the cost and the weight. Your ceiling doesn't need a hardwood, a lighter cheaper t&g would be the way to go. If your looking for a quick fix, just start scraping off the loose stuff. If your looking for a wood ceiling, start ripping it off back to the raftors.

conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beadboard, ceiling, cracking, flooring, plaster