DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Kitchen cabinets, can I find inside hinges for these? Pictures inside (

Mr.Burns 01-01-2013 08:53 AM

Kitchen cabinets, can I find inside hinges for these? Pictures inside
Hi everyone,

I'm sanding and painting the cabinets today per the wife's orders. Question is, can I find hinges that are inside the cabinet completely anywhere? I tried at Lowes and Home Depot, nothing worked.

This is what they look like, there's probably a word to describe them that would make this a lot easier...

joecaption 01-01-2013 09:14 AM

Confusing post, are you just trying to replace what you have with the same style hindge?
Or changing them to a differant style?
What you have now is offset hindges. there's at least 3, differant offset depths.
If your look to change to a differant style I think you mean something like these.

Mr.Burns 01-01-2013 09:20 AM

Sorry to be confusing.

This is the outside of the cabinet,

You're right on with the link, that's what she wants. Thanks, hopefully looking around on that site I can find something. The common ones don't work due to the way the doors were made, the first picture shows what I'm trying to explain.

Happy New Year!

oh'mike 01-01-2013 09:22 AM

If you want 'hidden hinges' that are inside of the cabinet---your best bet is 'European style' hinges-----these need to be set into a hole in the back side of the door---

To do the installation you need a drill press and a Forsner bit----not to difficult---but only a foolish person would attempt that without a drill press---the pocket hole might go right through the face of the door of this was attempted using a hand held drill.

oh'mike 01-01-2013 09:26 AM

If you have a Woodcraft or Rockler store near by, they have a huge supply of different hinges---

Mr.Burns 01-01-2013 09:34 AM

Thanks for the tips Mike and Joe. The website Joe posted is good, but I think I'll just bring a small door to a place like you said Mike. I don't want to bother thinking I have the dimensions right and come home with the wrong thing.

The problem we had originally is the design of the doors doesn't lend itself to boring a hole for the european style, at least the narrow selection at Lowes. Can you guys tell from the first picture if it's possible? I hope that a good hardware store would have enough to pick from that there's something out there for this style of door.

And now I'm regretting not buying that guy's drill press on craiglist two months ago, even though I have no cause to do it back then ha

oh'mike 01-01-2013 09:45 AM

Blume and others make hinges for that style of door---

Also---there are lots of cabinet door companies that will make doors and drawer fronts at very reasonable cost----Google --Cabinet door manufacturers--

joecaption 01-01-2013 09:48 AM

My be cheaper to just find a local cabinet shop and let them bore the holes for you.

BigJim 01-01-2013 12:49 PM

Maybe I have been out of the business too long but I didn't know anyone made offset European hinges. 3/8 inch is too much to set the hole back in unless part of the hole is on the 3/8 inch offset, which might work, hmmmm got to think about that one, wait, where would the screws go. Nope wouldn't work, the part that goes in the 32mm hole will hit the edge of the face frame, unless someone has designed a hinge that will work just for that type door.

Man I sound like an ole man don't I, :whistling2:.

oh'mike 01-01-2013 03:39 PM

There are European hinges for inset doors---those might work---

BigJim 01-01-2013 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1084076)
There are European hinges for inset doors---those might work---

I think you are right, they might but how would the hinge react not closing all the way? Just a thought.

Maintenance 6 01-02-2013 03:16 PM

What you've got now is a 3/8" offset, half surface hinge. You could go to a 3/8" offset concealed hinge. The only thing that would show is the knuckle of the hinge. You're going to have to patch the screw holes no matter whether you use those or the euro-hinges.

Mr.Burns 01-09-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. After testing a few more hinges of I think Maintenance 6 is right, the best bet is minimally exposed hinges.

Regardless, the house is from 1913 and the cabinets were built by the previous owner, so this look will work. Already have them sanded, primed, and first coat of white on

carpdad 01-11-2013 07:30 AM

Those hinges look like they are spring loaded (little box behind the face) so they stay closed by themselves. Are there some kind of latches also? Many kinds of hinges came and went, and same kind of spring loaded hinges, if that, may not be available.

Mop in Hand 01-11-2013 10:50 PM

oh'mike, I have used this tool successfully many times. Check it out. No drill press required.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1