Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2004, 11:12 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy
Share |

kitchen and bathroom remodeling

Ok I'm probably going to start the remodel in a week or two. I was wondering does anyone have a checklist or spreadsheet? I want to make sure I didn't forget anything so I don't go over budget.

I'm pricing stuff now at homdepot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy

Don't go there for your floor.
If you have flooring questions, you know where to find me.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Paperhanger/painter

Quote:
Don't go there for your paint or wallpaper.
If you have paint or paper questions, you know where to find me.
:D

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

LOl. Ok guys what products do you recommend?

Floor tile for the bathroom should be smooth enough that it's easy to clean and rough enough that I don't fall on my butt every time I get out of the shower. I am leaning towards ceramic.

Walls will be tiled only at the shower area, not a large area. The rest of the walls will be painted. I heard the Bear product home depot sells is quality, but I guess not. I was definetly going to get a product that resists mildew.

Comments?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #5

Glazed tile will resist mildew if you seal the grout. So go with a glazed porcelain.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:26 PM   #6

Any specific manufacturer? WOuldn't glazed make it too smooth to walk on when wet? Or am I confusing glaze with gloss?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
Paperhanger/painter

Benjamin Moore makes an excellent paint for kitchens and baths. It comes ready mixed with a mildew and mold inhibitor. If you have no ventilation, or like long showers, you can always add more inhibitor if you feel the need.

Click here to see the paint.

I've used this paint many times and it performs great. Looks good, spreads good, covers good, comes in satin or semi gloss.

Hope that helps some.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #8

Poercelain is porous (did I spell that right?).
So you would need to seal to protect against staining and such. When a glaze is applied, it seals the porcelain. It is not a gloss, just a glaze, and some glaze is applied sooo many times, it actually has a slate type look to it.
The single gloss glaze is definately something you want to avoid for the floor, unless you just do not think you have made enough trips to your doctor.

As far as manufacturers, it really doesnt matter, as long as you don't buy 99 cent tile you should be o.k.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #9

Pro would you recommend satin or semi gloss for the bathroom? I think bathrooms should be high-light so I'd go for whichever provides the best shine. I know of a a Ben Moore store not too far from my house. I think I'll stop in tomorrow. How many sqft of wall will one gallon cover with one coat?

Flor, the bathroom is so small I can splurge on floor tiles and never really break the budget.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #10
Paperhanger/painter

Best shine would be semi-gloss. One gallon will cover approximately 350 sq. ft. depending on the condition and porosity of the walls. Figure 2 coats for uniform appearance and coverage for durability.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #11

My husband and I are preparing to remodel our bathrooms and kitchen soon. However, we are having problems with humidity in these rooms that we've noticed. I just read about some kind of paint with mildew and mold inhibitor; we also have mold that builds up in one of the bathrooms, would this kind of paint work on the sweating walls and ceilings or is there something else?

Sweating walls
NMR522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Contractor

First you need to address the humidity problem (sweating walls). Do you have ventilation fans in these rooms?

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote