Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Backsplash

Hi,
I'm about to begin a kitchen tile backsplash project and came across a potential issue. My question is about tiling the area behind my stove. It's a typical setup; cabinets are separated with a range hood in between. The hood sits against an upper set of cabinets so there is no space between the hood and cabinets above it. Now, should the hood be removed to tile behind it all the way up to the cabinets or should the tile stop at the bottom edge of the hood? The front edge of the hood is even with the front of the cabinets so if I tile behind it then it will push the front edge out past the cabinets. Anyone have any insight on best practices?
Thanks in advance.
sjm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Kitchen Backsplash

Sounds like you've almost answered for yourself ... To keep the hood flush with the cabinets and also save on tile which you will not see any way, I would tile up to the hood (leaving a small gap) and then use a color matched silicon caulking rather than grout to fill the gap. With the 2 different materials (tile and metal) and heat from the stove, grout at this point will just crack.
Behind the stove I place a temporary support screwed to the wall so that I can tile across the gap in the counter where the stove sits ... About 6" lower than the counter height so that once the stove is back in place it looks as if the tile goes all the way. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vancouver to Whistler & beyond
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Renovations contractor

Kitchen Backsplash

FYI although not required by minimum code, I would recommend using a crack prevention membrane (which also waterproofs) such as Red Guard if you want this to last. This stuff can be applied with a small roller so easy for kitchen back splashes. I'm sure others will say this is not necessary but I don't believe in "minimum" code ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #4

Kitchen Backsplash

That was my thought also, but since I haven't done this before, and most pictures of completed projects seem to skip the details, I thought I'd run it by some people.

My stove is a slide in. I also have a small granite splash on the countertop. The tile I'm adding will go between this and the cabinets.

Another question. I will be leaving a small gap, probably 1/16" between my first row of tiles and the granite backsplash. What should I fill this gap with, the same grout colored caulk I use for the hood or something else like silicone?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Renovations contractor

Kitchen Backsplash

As you'll already have the grout colored caulking I would use that. A clear silicon has a glossy sheen to it and will stand out more especially if it is a darker color of granite or tile.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #6

Kitchen Backsplash

Sounds good to me. I guess I should decide on a grout color. Decisions, decisions....
Thanks for the reassurance. Now, to get started.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Kitchen Backsplash

Dow Corning 786 (I think) Translucent caulking works well to blend colours.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Ultimatetouch

Kitchen Backsplash

Tile up to the hood. There are very few situations where the tile should be installed prior to the hood. Most often the microhood or hood gets installed then you tile up to it.