K&T Wiring - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Question

K&T wiring

I want to begin replacing my K&T wiring but can't tackle complete circuits all at once. I have a new 200 amp panel so plenty of breaker space. I'd like to simply install new room outlets and switches located near the existing ones and when a circuit is finally phased out completely I can just cover and patch the old boxes and leave the old disabled K&T in place. This would eliminate live K&T wiring issues while I install new circuits and I wouldn't even have to go up in the attic to deal with the old wiring. Any thoughts about this approach?? I have tried to use the original boxes but they are small and difficult to use and I don't want to just wire cap the old hot wire and shove it into the interior wall and out of the way.

Advertisement

jadrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 5,658

K&T wiring

That method sounds like a good one---as you have found--the old boxes are obsolete---

Invest in a Multi-tool---the little oscillating cutter---I have one from Harbor Freight---been a useful tool---they make diamond and carbide blades aklso--might be handy for opening the old lath and plaster--

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,090

K&T wiring

how are you going to run the wires ?
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,414

K&T wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadrma View Post
I want to begin replacing my K&T wiring but (find it impractical to) tackle complete circuits all at once (working by myself).

I'd like to (start with) new room outlets and switches...
...and I wouldn't even have to go up in the attic to deal with the old wiring. ... Any thoughts about this approach??
I'd START with the attic.

Pull up the new feeds for the second level lighting and recepts.
Then do these lights and their switches.
Then do these receptacle circuit(s)
Then go back down to the basement and do the first level work.

Don't forget the 20A and GFI for the bathroom(s), kitchen etc

Quote:
I have tried to use the original boxes...
How are your plastering skills?
What sort of condition are the walls in now?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

K&T wiring

The old K&T wiring is difficult to use to pull new wiring since they are fastened to a knob near each box. After I cut opening for newly located boxes I will come up from the 200amp panel in the basement and either cut openings in the sheetrock ceiling in the basement along the walls and feed the new wiring up to each box upstairs or I will go up through the floor at one point in each room and then cut an access hole between every other stud in the walls to drill hole and run wiring horizontally along the walls to each new box. Unfortunately, the main floor walls are plaster over button board. Hard to cut through and harder to patch.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

K&T wiring

Thx for suggestion of starting in the attic and working down. This would work for the 3 or 4 ceiling lights and their switches. However, the 1949 house has a hip roof with NO eaves so unable to get access to the exterior walls from the attic. I'm gutting out the main floor bath which will provide a great access point for getting most of the necessary wiring up to the attic easily.

Main floor walls are plaster on button board (not wood lath). My drywall skills are good and I hope I can apply them to small repairs and covering the old outlet boxes in plaster walls
Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,324

K&T wiring

Grinder may work better than a saw for cutting holes. Check videos for home made dust covers.
You have to install outlets for outer walls. You may have to cut the wall at these points. There is a bit holder that bends.
Although one piece cable is better, it gets difficult to handle. You can have a big junction box (I used 50 amp main box that electrician left) at mid point. Neither the electrician or the inspector liked it, but passed.
Also, since you got the walls open, 1 or 2, 2" pvc in the wall for future wires would be great. Crowding is bad, and also gets harder to thread new cables among the older.

Advertisement

Last edited by carpdad; 12-25-2014 at 08:31 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote