Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Share |

Issue with 2nd floor ceiling

I am looking to buy my grandfather-in-law's house back into the family, but there is one problem... the 2nd floor ceiling is very short... 6' to be exact. I am 6'1", so as is, the second floor is unlivable.

The previous owner (after pap passed away many years ago) had raised the ceiling in one of the rooms, but had not gotten around to completing the task with the other rooms.

My issue is with one doorway that connects the rooms together. The top of the door is (approx) 5' high. When I first looked at the house last year, I had to crouch to get through...

I was told that this was the main support beam for the house, and I would like to know if there is a way to raise the ceiling on the rest of the 2nd floor rooms, as well as raise the beam to make the doorway a reasonable height.

I have searched forum after forum, and google searched myself to a small coma...

roach570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It sounds like you are going to need an experienced architect, structural engineer or home designer for this project. They are not necessarily expensive and will save you lots of aggravation. Since you are changing basic structure, this project is going to need stamped drawings, permits, sign-offs and inspections. They will also know building codes for your area and have a handle on the contractor resources you will need.

It would be unwise to trust but general advice on this from forum posts. Someone has to see your site to fully understand what is going on. You can probably make the changes you want but it may mean installing some enhanced structural members like steel or glue lams.

Some pictures or drawings/sketches might help. I would ask around and have somebody come to your place though.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

Time and time agin people see all that space in the attic, thinking it's going to waste decide to go ahead and make it a room.
More often then not the ceiling joist were not the right width or two long a span to be able to do it correctly.
To add insult to injury, almost never are they vented or insulated correctly, and they also often have removed supporting walls below this area.
All things that need to be look at.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beam, ceiling, house, problem, remodel