Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 232
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Intrusions in back of house for siding


How do you handle the intrusions thru the siding for various items,,,like meter socket-that wont be flat on lapped siding,,,a/c disconnect box,same deal,telephone box,same deal,,,AND anchor for overhead wires(BIG honkin screw there,,,silicone caulking on all screws?? PLUS there are a lot of holding bracket screws for wires running hither and yon.

Main question,sort of,,,does the power company usually help one out with removing and replacing meter socket?? OR is this electrician hire job???? It would always be HOT since it contains the drop from pole!! AND doesnt the drop from the anchor down to meter socket supposed to be in conduit?? just BIG exposed wire now. Guess I am used to seeing weatherhead and conduit!!Thanks for any help here with the boxes and uneven lap siding now!!Just want to do things RIGHT the first time,dont have time to redo them!!

OR do you use one of those siding boxes like for outside faucets??for all boxes??

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Intrusions in back of house for siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
How do you handle the intrusions thru the siding for various items,,,like meter socket-that wont be flat on lapped siding,,,a/c disconnect box,same deal,telephone box,same deal,,,AND anchor for overhead wires(BIG honkin screw there,,,silicone caulking on all screws?? PLUS there are a lot of holding bracket screws for wires running hither and yon.
Build bases, or purchase bases for specific mounting needs.
You can use 3/4" stock or thicker 5/4" stock.

When you have a stationary item, you can make your base, then cut it in half, then install it. Patch the cut line, and paint (In the 4th picture with the vent pipes, that is how the bases were fabricated).

Examples:




The following examples of bases, I would have preferred our workers use thicker 5/4" stock, but you get the idea:




Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
Main question,sort of,,,does the power company usually help one out with removing and replacing meter socket?? OR is this electrician hire job???? It would always be HOT since it contains the drop from pole!! AND doesnt the drop from the anchor down to meter socket supposed to be in conduit?? just BIG exposed wire now. Guess I am used to seeing weatherhead and conduit!!Thanks for any help here with the boxes and uneven lap siding now!!Just want to do things RIGHT the first time,dont have time to redo them!!
In Most towns in my region, an electrician is required to pull a permit and do the removal and reconnection. It's a safety concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
OR do you use one of those siding boxes like for outside faucets??for all boxes??
As stated, you can purchase pre-made bases, or fabricate your own.


Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-02-2008 at 12:50 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Intrusions in back of house for siding


What's going on with the dripedge in the second picture?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Intrusions in back of house for siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
What's going on with the dripedge in the second picture?
Ohhh, you don't even know the half of that job. This was a "Handy-Home-Owner-Special" (Not that all owners do that kind of work, this guy had no clue).

This was a re-siding and new window job. I knew we were going to run into alot of issues with this house before we even started it. Those facts were included in the contract and all our discussions before any agreements, and prior to job start. Almost every single SF of the exterior required custom alteration work, before the new siding could be installed.

The previous owner of the home, had performed years of butchery on this poor defenseless house. The current owners have been improving it over the last several years.

The previous guy had also layered so much siding over the exterior, that it went beyond the window casings. When when we removed the multiple layers of siding, the gable roof lines were over-extended. We had to remove the old roof drip edge, cut the roof shingles back, and install new drip edges. What you saw in that picture was the work in progress.

Same area, Before:


Garage, had no sheathing on the exterior. This was after we removed the old siding:


Is this how you frame and insulate a wall?


Is this how to install step flashing?


We fixed everything that we found wrong, which was alot. The Home Owners were very happy. That poor house...

(To the OP: sorry about the thread hijack)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-02-2008 at 02:30 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Intrusions in back of house for siding


I'm going through the same thing. My house is around 80 years old. It has had a few additions, roofs, electrical/plumbing upgrades (alterations, rather). I'm slowing working room to room to try to get everything in decent shape.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replumbing an old house simonfrog Plumbing 7 01-30-2012 04:45 AM
Sealing exterior wall from inside the house? BigJimmy Building & Construction 6 03-20-2007 09:16 PM
Need advice and assurance on house issues! Leikela General DIY Discussions 3 12-04-2006 10:10 PM
Sloping Floor and back half of the house. Help! mikeinfrisco Building & Construction 1 01-22-2005 08:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.