Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Interior window trim

Hi - I'm at the stage of our remodel where I need to start triming the interior windows. I have not done this type of work before but I've completed about 80% of the remodel myself without too much problem so I'll tackle this (also money is running out.) All the windows have 2x6 framing and we are going to use Hemlock for the trim and stain it to our preference. We have 1/2 sheet rock. For the window sills I want to use 1x6; for the Jambs, 1x5 and for the casing, 1x4. My plan is to cut all the pieces first and then stain. I was thinking I would attach the sill and top jamb first then the side jambs. Of course casing last. Just a couple questions:
- I need to bring the top and side jambs flush with the sheet rock; there may be a small gap between back of the jamb and the vinyl window. Is this usual? It seems like a waste of material if I had to rip a bunch of 1x6s.
- How far do people extend the end of the sill beyond the vertical casing? I was thinking 1/2".

I know I'm going to have to be percise with my cuts so the jamb looks good especially since we are staining and not painting.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #2

Interior window trim

How large are the windows?? Wide casings on average size windows look out of place, with the trim overpowering the window.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #3

Interior window trim

I have 5 windows that are 7' tall and 3' wide. I'm wondering whether to place the jambs right up against the vinyl window or bring them out and have them flush with the sheet rock. The 1x5s are appx. 1/8" less wide than the jamb width. Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Old School

Interior window trim

The jambs should finish flush with the sheet rock. Then you have a good fit, as the casing attaches to the jamb, with a slight reveal (the edge of the jamb)...approx 1/8". I usually figure 1/2" overhang for the sill.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Interior window trim

Thanks cabinetman, I'll go with finishing flush with the sheetrock. We are staining the hemlock so we will not have the "flexibiltiy" you get when you paint in terms of covering imperfections. If it were you, would you fill any gap between the back of the jamb and the vinyl window with putty/caulk and then try to stain over that? Also, would you fill the corner joints of the jambs with some type of putty/caulk. Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Old School

Interior window trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
Thanks cabinetman, I'll go with finishing flush with the sheetrock. We are staining the hemlock so we will not have the "flexibiltiy" you get when you paint in terms of covering imperfections. If it were you, would you fill any gap between the back of the jamb and the vinyl window with putty/caulk and then try to stain over that? Also, would you fill the corner joints of the jambs with some type of putty/caulk. Thanks
I don't know which window you have. I just installed 21 vinyl windows, and they got installed against and to a jamb, by way of a 1/2" lip on the face of the window. If the window is caulked to the buck, and add a wood jamb on the inside, you may not need to caulk a small gap, as there may be no leakage. Most caulks don't take stain too well. You might fiddle with an acrylic color and blend it in color to the jamb.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

Interior window trim

Thanks - I have Milguard windows. If I'm understanding correctly, what I need to do for a clean look is to caulk the gap where the window meets the 2x6 framing. I have stuffed pieces of insulation all around the window to fill any gaps and to keep outside air from coming in. The windows are white. I could use either a white caulk or get a color close to the stain color of the jambs. Anyway, caulk first then install the jambs. Thanks for the help.