Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
jschaben

Share |
Question

Interior Door Installation

I have an old house and there has never been a door between the dining room and the kitchen. We (read SHE), decided we needed one there. No problem until I measured the opening. It measures 81 3/8h x 33 1/2w by 7 3/4 deep. All the pre-hung stuff I have looked at needs at least 82 1/2h. Walls are plaster over lathe. I'm thinking I can make my own door frame out of 1x material then buy a premade solid wood door and cut it down.

I don't really feel up to trying to open up the rough opening. Not sure what I'll get into there. I don't believe this house was ever planned, it just sorta evolved. From other evidence, I believe the kitchen area was built after the main part of the house. I tried putting the floor plan of the place on one of those computer home design programs and found several places where the walls didn't match. After carefully checking my measurements and examining the suspect areas, I found the computer program was right, they didn't match. Now, I'm extremely cautious undertaking any type of remodeling. This seems like it should be a fairly straightforward operation though. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, John

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #2

Door jambs and door slabs can be cut down much easier than making your own jambs. But the width may be tight for a 32" door unit. You generally need about 2" wider than the door(for squaring it up), but it might fit. Is that RO to the studs, or to the plaster?

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Door jambs and door slabs can be cut down much easier than making your own jambs. But the width may be tight for a 32" door unit. You generally need about 2" wider than the door(for squaring it up), but it might fit. Is that RO to the studs, or to the plaster?
Hi Bill - Thanks for the response. All measurements are to the plaster. Door would have to be sized vertically reqardless. Could go with a 30" prehung door but would have to cut up the jambs. 32" door with site built jambs would likely need sized down about an inch to allow for squaring. Or, could take the plaster off and likely pick up what I need. Messy, but doable.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote