Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Interior Car Siding question

Hello all,

I guess I'm new here, but I did take the time to search if my question has been answered, and I couldn't find it. So, if there's another thread on this... a link would be great

I'm closing on a small log cabin next week that I plan on living in full time. Most of the place really doesn't need remodling as the majority of interior walls are log, but the few that aren't really need a remodel. The current interior walls that have been framed have been sheetrocked and look bad. To get a bit more of a rustic look I want to go with 8 inch pine car siding (8 inch T&G for those of you who don't know... it gets its name because I think they used to use it on railroad cars). I like it... it's relatively inexpensive and definitely will give it the wood look. I have a bunch of questions though:

1) Any opinions of how long it should sit prior to putting it up? 72 hours in the house? I live in a very dry part of South Dakota so not much humidity up here, but better safe than sorry?

2) Any opinions on if this needs backing? I'd rather not put it over the sheetrock as I'd have to move the outlets and stuff out, but if that's the better way, I'll do it. Or, if you'd use a thinner backing I'm not aware of, I'll take any suggestions.

3) Would you stain it prior to putting it up? I would assume yes as it is wood and with expand on contract. Do you let it sit 72 hours than stain? Or just have at it day 1?

4) I'm going horizontal with it and would prefer starting from the ceiling and working my way down (the floors aren't perfectly level so if I start at the bottom I'll end up with an awkward looking top board I think), any problems with that? It seems like most people recommend starting at the bottom and working up, but I can't see it working out well.

5) Recommendations on a nail gun? I enjoy using a hammer, but would rather get this done in my lifetime. A 2 inch finish nailer? Something else?

Thanks a lot to anybody who knows about this!

gomntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 170

Since it's nailed in the tongue it has to be installed from the bottom up.
It's a simple as leaving it 1/2" up off the floor and leveling it as you go. The baseboard will cover up the gap.
I'd go right over the sheetrock and use box extenders on the outlets. Any Lowes or HD will have them.
Prefinish and seal before installing. For interier work I use a narrow crown staple gun. Only nail into the stud, if it's not sealed anything that touches it is going to stain it.
72 hours is more then enough.

PS Car siding on the inside of a home is not going to be a great look, but ha it's your home. Everytime I see it, it looks like someone added on an addition and forgot to remove the siding.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Since it's nailed in the tongue it has to be installed from the bottom up.
It's a simple as leaving it 1/2" up off the floor and leveling it as you go. The baseboard will cover up the gap.
I'd go right over the sheetrock and use box extenders on the outlets. Any Lowes or HD will have them.
Prefinish and seal before installing. For interier work I use a narrow crown staple gun. Only nail into the stud, if it's not sealed anything that touches it is going to stain it.
72 hours is more then enough.

PS Car siding on the inside of a home is not going to be a great look, but ha it's your home. Everytime I see it, it looks like someone added on an addition and forgot to remove the siding.
Thanks! I'll take any recommendations you have for a different interior look. I want wood, and car siding is the best thing I've come up with.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 170

Really would help with a picture, and some idea on the look your going for.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Really would help with a picture, and some idea on the look your going for.
Will do. I'm just on my way to work, but I'll try and get one up tomorrow!