DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing window questions

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Allison1888 
#1 ·
I've framed out a new window and I'm stuck on the proper way to proceed with the building paper. The house is stucco and there is no sheathing behind it. The window is a Jeld-Wen with a nail flange. The install instructions are similar to what is shown in this pdf. Do I need to cut the stucco away approx 8"-10", which just leave me studs?

Regards,
Window Idiot

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you will want to beat the stucco back with a 2lb hammer, breaking the stucco, while trying to leave some of the stuccowrap and wire undamaged. Don't cut it with a saw, break it with the hammer and leave a jagged edge. Your stucco repair will hold better that way. Once you've exposed more stuccowrap, you'll be able to overlap the new paper with the old.

#3 ·
Yes, you will have to cut the stucco back far enough to properly integrate your flashing paper. I'm assuming you will be using 12" Moistop or similar flashing material. As the previous poster stated, you should carefully break the stucco back, maintaining the integrity of the wire lath as much as possible while giving yourself a nice rough edge to bond the new plaster to.

You don't need to go back as far as the next stud as the flashing won't be wide enough to reach anyway (you can buy wider flashing, but it's not intended for this particular application). In the absence of sheathing, the line wire behind your paper supports the flashing as well.

The Jeld-Wen spec you provided is based on AAMA 2400-02 Method "A" which calls for a bead of sealant behind the flange and between the flange and the flashing (step #3). The problem is, the spec fails to mention the outer bead of sealant so if you follow the spec to a tee, you won't have any seal between the frame and the jamb and head flashing. Method "B" is a better approach to window flashing and you can follow the process in the original referenced AAMA document here:

http://www.milgard.com/_doc/products/aama-2400-02.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.